[This article was written by Kortney Runyan.]
This April 13-14 Percona is introducing an annual conference called OpenStack Live. I’ve seen a few questions about the new event so decided to help clarify what this show is about and who should attend.
Unlike OpenStack Summits, held twice a year and dedicated to primarily to developers, OpenStack Live is an opportunity for OpenStack evaluators and users of all levels to learn from experts on topics such as how to deploy, optimize, and manage OpenStack and the role of MySQL as a crucial technology in this free and open-source cloud computing software platform. A full day of hands-on tutorials will also focus on making OpenStack users more productive and confident in this emerging technology.
Q: Who should attend?
A: You should attend…
- if you are currently using OpenStack and want to improve your skills and knowledge
- if you are evaluating or considering using it.
- if you are a solutions provider – this is your opportunity to show the world your contributions and services
Q: Percona Live has a conference committee. Does OpenStack Live have one, too?
A: Yes and it’s a completely different committee comprised of:
- Mark Atwood, Director of Open Source Engagement at HP (Conference Chairman)
- Rich Bowen, OpenStack Community Liaison at Red Hat
- Jason Rouault, Senior Director OpenStack Cloud at Time Warner Cable
- Peter Boros, Principal Architect at Percona
Q: Are the tutorials really “hands-on”?
A: Yes and most are at least 3-hours long. So you’ll need your laptop and power cord. Here’s a look at all of the OpenStack tutorials.
Q: How meaty are the sessions?
A: Very meaty indeed! Here’s a sample:
- MySQL and OpenStack deep dive
- Replication and Clustering with OpenStack Trove
- Deploying a OpenStack Cloud at Scale at Time Warner Cable
- An introduction to Database as a Service with an emphasis on OpenStack using Trove
- Trove in the Real World – Adventures in Running Production Workloads on Upstream Code
- So, you want to contribute to OpenStack…
Q: I am going to attend the Percona Live MySQL Conference and Expo. Will my pass also include OpenStack Live 2015?
A: Yes, your Percona Live pass will be honored at the OpenStack Live conference. OpenStack Live attendees will also have access to the Percona Live/OpenStack Live Exhibit hall, keynotes, receptions and FUN activities April 13 and 16, allowing them to dive deeper into MySQL topics such as high availability, security, performance optimization, and much more. However, the OpenStack Live pass does not allow access to Percona Live breakout sessions or tutorials.
Q: Where can I register?
A: You can register here and take advantage of Early Bird discounts but those end Feb. 1 at 11:30 p.m. PST, so hurry!