PHP 5.4 Available in Windows Azure Web Sites
The Cloud Zone is brought to you in partnership with Iron.io. Discover how Microservices have transformed the way developers are building and deploying applications in the era of modern cloud infrastructure.
I’m happy to share that PHP 5.4 is now available in Windows Azure Web Sites! You have always been able to install a custom PHP runtime in Web Sites, but now you can have PHP 5.4 available with the click of a button. And, you can customize the runtime (add/enable extensions, modify configuration settings). Details are in the instructions and links below…
1. Create a website. Any of the following articles will walk you through how to do this.
- How to Create and Deploy a Website
- Create a PHP-MySQL website and deploy using Git
- Create and deploy a PHP-MySQL website using WebMatrix
2. Click on the name of your site in the Windows Azure Portal:
3. Browse to the CONFIGURE tab, and select PHP 5.4 (notice that PHP 5.3 is enabled by default):
4. Click SAVE at the bottom of the screen:
If you browse to a script that calls phpinfo(), you should see this:
Of course, you can always revert back to PHP 5.3. And, you can still customize the built-in PHP runtime, or you can provide your own customized PHP runtime: How to configure PHP in Windows Azure Web Sites.
As always, we’d love to hear your feedback.