Over a million developers have joined DZone.
{{announcement.body}}
{{announcement.title}}

PR Review: The Errors Should Be Nurtured

DZone's Guide to

PR Review: The Errors Should Be Nurtured

A better way to prevent this would be to just include the actual locations in the error. It doesn’t prevent support calls, but it does make them a lot easier to solve.

· Performance Zone
Free Resource

Transform incident management with machine learning and analytics to help you maintain optimal performance and availability while keeping pace with the growing demands of digital business with this eBook, brought to you in partnership with BMC.

I ran into the following in a PR that I recently reviewed. Take a look and try to figure out why I’m pointing these bits out:

image_thumb[2]

image_thumb[3]

Those are bad errors — bad in the sense that they are hiding information. Sure, in 90% of the cases, the user can just put it in the backup location or the restore location. This way, they know what the application is referring to. But the other 10% is looking at the exception from the logs, getting an “I got an error” support call and all sorts of other weird stuff.

In particular, one of the most annoying things is when the user and the application disagree on a relative path. For example, if the user believes that the relative path is based on one location and the application another, hilarity ensues. And not in a fun way.

A better way to prevent all of those would be to just include the actual locations (fully resolved, mind you) in the error. It doesn’t prevent support calls, but it does make them a lot easier to solve.

Evolve your approach to Application Performance Monitoring by adopting five best practices that are outlined and explored in this e-book, brought to you in partnership with BMC.

Topics:
performance ,pull requests ,errors

Published at DZone with permission of Oren Eini, DZone MVB. See the original article here.

Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.

THE DZONE NEWSLETTER

Dev Resources & Solutions Straight to Your Inbox

Thanks for subscribing!

Awesome! Check your inbox to verify your email so you can start receiving the latest in tech news and resources.

X

{{ parent.title || parent.header.title}}

{{ parent.tldr }}

{{ parent.urlSource.name }}