Curator's Note: The content of this article was written by Will over at the MongoLab blog.
After many months of development and testing we are pleased to announce MongoLab‘s first production-ready database plans on the Windows Azureplatform with immediate availability in Windows Azure’s East US and West US datacenters.
What does this new plan include?
- A three-node Replica Set cluster (two data-bearing nodes plus one arbiter node)
- Dedicated mongod processes on shared Windows Azure virtual machines
- Up to 8GB of storage
- High-availability via automatic failover in the event that the primary node fails or should become unreachable
- Integration with MongoDB Monitoring Service (MMS)
- Log file access (real-time and historical)
This is in addition to what every MongoLab user enjoys:
- Continuous monitoring, 24/7
- The ability to create backup plans (hourly/daily/weekly/monthly) and initiate one-time database snapshots
- Rich, web-based management tools
- Thoughtful, timely email support (email@example.com) from real developers
- Standard driver and REST API support
Two ways to get up and running
Method #1: Directly from MongoLab.com
Simply log in to your MongoLab account, click “Create new” in the “Servers and Clusters” section of your home screen, select your datacenter, select the “Cluster” plan.. and you’re done! Alternatively, you can also clone any existing Sandbox database (from Windows Azure or any other cloud provider) to upgrade an existing database to a new Replica Set plan.
Then configure your application’s MongoDB driver with the provided connection string to connect to your new cluster.
Method #2: Via the Windows Azure Store
You can also use the MongoLab add-on in the Windows Azure Store to provision MongoLab databases on Windows Azure. By provisioning your MongoLab database via the Windows Azure Store you get seamless integration with your Windows Azure-hosted applications and a single point-of-billing for your application and database hosting.
More to come soon!
We hope you enjoy these new production-ready Replica Sets on Windows Azure! Please check back frequently for developments. We will continue to bolster our support for the Windows Azure platform with larger, dedicated virtual machine plans over the coming months.