Python as a Mobile App Development Language
Python as a Mobile App Development Language
Why should you consider Python for mobile app development? These features make it easy to use to create expressive, quality apps.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Mobile has become one of the primary needs of today’s generation. Therefore, it is quite impossible for people to live without mobile phones, as they play an important role in our lives. Recognizing this dependence, various mobile application development companies launch new applications frequently, in order to feed off this dependence.
This is a great business opportunity and is interesting, to say the least. The challenge, however, is not to jump on the mobile app development platform, but to choose the right programming language.
As we have several choices while selecting the best programming language, one of the easiest ways is to go for the most popular language. According to Codevaal, Python was the most popular coding language in 2014.
In comparison to other programming languages, Python is easier to learn, highly readable, and simple to implement as it has a clean syntax which requires less coding. It focuses on the business logic rather than basic facts of the language. Python is used in a wide variety of application domains as it can easily be connected with C, Objective-C, Java, or FORTRAN. It runs on all major operating systems, like Windows, Linux/Unix, OS/2, Mac, Amiga, etc. With the help of Python, we can create any type of mobile applications, like Calibre, OpenStack, Ubuntu Software Center, World of Tanks, Quora, BitTorrent, Reddit, Spotify, YouTube, Instagram, and many more.
Features of Python
Before beginning with the deeper concept of Python for mobile development, let us take a look at its major features that give you reasons why should you choose Python for developing your apps in comparison to other tools:
- Easy to read: For beginners, using a static language for the first time can be very difficult as it presents additional complexity. Python is dynamic language it instructs indentation, which aids readability.
- Easy to code: Compared to other popular languages like Java and C++, Python is a much easier language to code. Anyone can learn Python within a few hours. It is called a programmer-friendly language as it is very easy to use.
- Interpreted language: With some languages, like C++ or Java, we are always supposed to first compile it and then run it. But it’s not the same with Python, as there is no need to compile it. This is because, internally, it converts one language to binary immediately.
- Expressive: Python is an expressive language, considered a most outstanding feature as it helps to focus on the solution rather than the syntax.
- Object-oriented language: Python’s main focus is on objects, functions, and combining data. Python supports multiple inheritances. It also supports both object-oriented and procedure-orientated programming.
- Python-iOS-support (CPython compiled for use on iOS)
- VOC (A CPython bytecode to Java class file transpiler)
- Python-iOS-template (a cookie-cutter template for iOS projects)
- Python-Android-template (a cookie-cutter template for Android projects)
- Briefcase (a distutils extension for packaging Python projects as apps)
- Rubicon-ObjC (a bridge between Objective-C and Python)
- Toga (a cross-platform native widget library)
The above tools were in the early phase of development, however, they are mature enough to demonstrate that the objectives of developing mobile apps in Python are neither an illusion nor a mirage.
Why Python for Mobile Development?
Python has the potential to run on any of the major operating systems such as OS/2, Linux/Unix, Mac, Amiga, Windows, etc.
The language offers a concept with the intention to allow obstacle-free programs on a small or large scale.
There is a variety of tools provided by Python for both developers and system administrators.
Due to Python’s ability to be flexible and dynamic, users like Google, Yahoo, and IBM find it fun to work with.
The development and portability rate in Python are very high, which allows the same application to operate across platforms.
Python consists of rich libraries and many other packages to tackle a particular task.
Role of Python in Mobile Development
Mobile application development has become a major business sector because of its expanding scope. The cross-platform Python framework works for Android, Windows 7, Linux, and Mac. It is a perfect tool for writing simple scripts and complex multi-threaded applications.
The interesting thing about Android having Python in it is the chance to use limitless lines of code already written and available for free. Developers for iPhone and Android apps use a number of cross-platform development techniques to provide their customer a great mobile application.
MobiCart, RhoMobile, SwebApps, PhoneGap, Mippin, Appcelerator, AppMkr, Sencha Touch, GENWI, MoSync, WidgetPed, and Whoop are some of the top tools used for cross-formatting in mobile application development.
Python-Based Mobile Applications
- Aarlogic C05/3: Ready-to-use GSM/GPS tracking PCB with a Python development board along with the support of test server based on Google Maps.
- Pyroute: A GPS-capable mapping/routing application for mobile.
- FoodPlus: A mobile food app which simplifies the process of food ordering and tracking, specially designed for food lovers.
- AppBackup: An app for jailbroken iOS devices that lets one back up and restore the settings and data of App Store apps.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.