Valuable Python Resources
The Web Dev Zone is brought to you in partnership with Mendix. Discover how IT departments looking for ways to keep up with demand for business apps has caused a new breed of developers to surface - the Rapid Application Developer.
- Python in a Nutshell
- Dive into Python Online Book - somewhat dated but still good.
- The Official Python Tutorial
- Code like a Pythonista: read this and your code will be pythonic.
- Doug Hellman's Python Module of the Week - a great way to get to know Python's vast stdlib.
Important Basics You Should Know
Python builtin functions: see the http://docs.python.org/library/functions.html. Or
import __builtin__ dir(__builtin__)
Keywords: see the docs http://docs.python.org/reference/lexical_analysis.html#keywords. Or
import keyword print(keyword.kwlist)
- IPython - a better python shell
- Python Regex Testing Tool
- virtualenv and virtualenvwrapper - tools for managing python environments. If you find yourself installing 3rd party python code you should be using these tools.
- Stuck on windows? Use a replacement console
- Simple String Formatting
- Built In Exception Types
- Quick Doctest Overview - but I like to use
$ python -m doctest -v myfile.py
- Don't forget the first dunderscore hack you'll need:
if __name__ == '__main__': main()
- A great walkthrough of the stdlib logging module
- JSON in stdlib
- List of dunderscore methods