Real-Time Database Backup to OSS on the OSS Console
This article describes how to back up databases, including the local Internet data center (IDC) databases and public network databases.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
This article describes how to back up databases, including the local Internet data center (IDC) databases, public network databases, databases not hosted on Alibaba Cloud, Relational Database Service (RDS) databases, and Elastic Compute Service (ECS) user-created databases, to Alibaba Cloud Object Storage Service (OSS) in real time.
Alibaba Cloud OSS supports Standard, Infrequent Access (IA), and Archive storage classes. You can use the Standard storage class of OSS to store image, audio, and video files for apps and large websites. You can use the IA or Archive storage class as a low-cost solution for backup and archiving of infrequently accessed data. OSS is applicable to storage media for database backup.
Alibaba Cloud Database Backup (DBS) is a cost-effective database backup service that provides continuous, powerful protection for data in enterprise data centers, clouds of other cloud vendors, public clouds, and other environments. DBS provides an overall data backup and restoration solution, which delivers capabilities of real-time incremental backup and data restoration within seconds.
Backing Up Database to OSS on the OSS Console
For Users Who Have Subscribed to DBS
For Users Who Have Not Subscribed to DBS
Application Scenario of Database Backup to OSS
Back up or archive Alibaba Cloud RDS databases or ECS user-created databases to OSS
Back up self-built IDC databases to the cloud
Back up databases not hosted on Alibaba Cloud to OSS
Back up databases to OSS for remote disaster recovery
Full Backup or Real-time Incremental Backup
With DBS and OSS you can perform a full backup or real-time incremental backup and second-level RPO. Based on the high performance and easy expandability features of OSS, DBS realizes in-depth optimization to allow efficient database backup to OSS.
- Second-level Recovery Point Objective (RPO): real-time CDP backup and log memory capture
- Unlocked backup, concurrent backup, and self-adaptive sharding during data pull
- Accurate restoration: accurate object matching and restoration of a single table, significantly reducing Recovery Time Objective (RTO)
- Flexible restoration: calendar- or timeline-based data restoration at any specified time
High Security and Reliability
- Remote disaster recovery: OSS supports cross-region data duplication, which can be used for remote disaster recovery, enhancing data security.
- Encrypted data transmission: Users can use SSL to encrypt data as needed, securing data transmission.
- Encrypted data storage: Users can encrypt data to be backed up to OSS, ensuring data privacy.
- Verification anytime: The validity of database backup can be verified anytime.
- Size dividend: Using OSS to store backup data reduces the storage space cost.
- Pay-As-You-Go billing based on the amount of storage space you use: One-time substantial investment is not required.
- Automatic storage classification: OSS supports Standard, IA, and Archive storage classes. Long-term archiving is applicable.
- Elastic expansion: OSS seamlessly supports requirements of enterprises in various development phases.
Support for Multiple Environments and Data Sources
- Databases including the MySQL, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, and MongoDB
- On-premises IDC databases, third-party cloud databases, ApsaraDB for RDS databases, and ECS user-created databases
Database Backup Management (DBS + OSS)
The procedure for backing up databases to OSS is as follows:
- Create a backup plan.
- Configure the backup plan.
- Check the backup plan configuration.
- Restore databases.
For more information about using Alibaba Cloud Object Storage Service, visit the official product guide.
Published at DZone with permission of Leona Zhang. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.