Real World Problems Being Solved With Integration of Data and Applications
Real World Problems Being Solved With Integration of Data and Applications
Clients demand real-time ingestion and analysis of data to provide an excellent customer experience.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
SnapLogic is the leading self-service enterprise-grade integration platform. Download the 2018 GartnerMagic Quadrant for Enterprise iPaaS or play around on the platform, risk free, for 30 days.
To gather insights on the state of application and data integration, we spoke with 18 executives from 15 companies who are involved in the integration of applications and data.
Here’s who we talked to:
Shawn Ryan, V.P. Marketing Digital as a Service, Axway | Kurt Collins, Director of Technology Evangelism and Partnership, Built.io | Thomas Hooker, V.P. of Marketing, CollabNet | Piyush Mehta, CEO, Data Dynamics | Daniel Graves, VP of Product Management, Delphix | Samer Fallouh, V.P. of Engineering, and Andrew Turner, Senior Solutions Engineer, Dialexa | Andrew Leigh, V.P. of Marketing and Alliances, Jitterbit | Trevor Hellebuyck, CTO, Metalogix | Mike Stowe, Developer Relations Manager, MuleSoft | Zeev Avidan, V.P. Product Management, Open Legacy | Sean Bowen, CEO, Gordon McKinney, Senior Solution Architect, Ross Garrett, Product Marketing, Push Technology | Joan Wrabetz, CTO, Quali | Razi Sharir, V.P. of Products, Robin Systems | Girish Pancha, CEO, StreamSets | Bob Brodie, CTO, SUMOHeavy |
And here’s what they told us when we asked them, "What are real world problems solved by the integration of applications and data by you or your clients?"
- Insurance companies enable APIs to access the backend so agents can use their mobile devices to issue quotes, see leads, create scenarios for clients, and workforce mobilization. Stats of systems across the board dashboard for high level business processes. Bank customers don’t want to interact with banks – we reduce friction on money transfers. Insurance companies can provide event driven quotes on specific things in ride-share scenarios. Customers want to open external APIs to external developers to make it as easy as possible for developers with a user-friendly API UX. Using personas of developers (i.e. third party mobile developers for mobile travel app) to develop user-friendly external facing APIs and leaving the high-complexity of the API facing internally.
- Deployment and operations of a collaboration platform. Repositories of content need to move to their product of choice. Client can identify the content and direct it to the right place. Analyze and access sensitive content securely. We provide governance policies from cradle to grave. We recommend best practices from documentation to deployment to governance policies and how to meet regulatory compliance which is particularly important in financial services and healthcare.
- IoT partner Macadamian has built a connected meeting room with Phillips Connected Hue Lights to see when a room is occupied, available, manages schedules, and calendars. Bi-directional synchronization between Astute and Marketo for near real-time activity-based processes.
- 1) Moving into containers from VMs – more complex issues but avoid VM sprawl. Maintain the performance with the benefits of virtualization. 2) Ability to save capital and operating expense with more compact and compressed data. 3) Data to run at the appropriate place and speed to get the predicted performance.
- We have more insight now. The volume of data we’re collecting is hard to imagine. Clients must do what’s within the comfort zone of their customers with regards to providing suggestions, cross-selling, or upselling.
- 1) NBC Universal is using our product to provide real-time KPIs measuring the views per show per channel and ad revenue while fixing any glitches that may hurt revenue. 2) A portable defibrillator company uses the platform to update firmware of the defibrillators remotely with the traceability to ensure that all of the machines have the latest version of the firmware. 3) We are also one of the largest trainers of scrum masters in the world helping enterprises transition from Waterfall to Agile and DevOps.
- Club Auto, AAA of Canada, has been providing roadside assistance for 70 years. Needed to become more modern on mobile devices to meet the needs of their customers. They reinvented their go to market strategy. If a car breaks down you can call in with your phone or smart car, to communication center which communicates with the tow truck and, like Uber, the user can see the status of the tow truck on their phone. Provide connected field service, IoT, service, and customers using things like Service Max and Salesforce.
- 1) The Vinli platform provides a layer of open APIs which provides developers with what they need to build consumer applications. So pretty much built an app store for cars. We’ve seen apps built and integrated with Vinli on: iOS. Android, Web, IoT hardware devices. 2) ParkHub - Parking platform for events in public venues: iOS. Web. IoT hardware sensors, 3rd party integrations. 3) Robin - Lawn care application to put your lawn mowing on autopilot: Android, Web.
- 1) Custom insight and interactions with customers on websites. Analysis of web traffic. Other databases capture and store profile data that can be integrated with real-time data, other databases and feeds for real-time information based on segmentation (e.g. unique game scenarios based on the user). 2) Cisco is using the product for service optimization by providing search index optimization, monitoring the behavior of services on behalf of customers. Microservices change based on customer needs across multiple data centers. 3) Lithium is doing product optimization for a community with edge nodes between different application modules and onboarding to the cloud for further analysis. 4) Data integration warehouse problems. Modernization doesn’t change the consumption of the information. Drift becomes a problem with SQL working on Hadoop.
- Discovery. We help clients understand what they have, how old it is, what’s in it, who owns in, and what to do with it by leveraging company policy. We help clients with ongoing unstructured data management.
- Expectations from customers who want real-time data versus point-in-time data. Mobile is expected to publish new information to end users and update across all connected users without the user having to take any action. Real-time chat and collaboration using web sockets for bi-directional communications. Industrial IoT devices are resource constrained and network constrained. Improve data efficiency to limit the amount of traffic going over the wire. Have the smallest amount of data as possible by using Cbor and native binary over the wire. In IoT we expect devices to run on batteries for five years; therefore, you must limit the frequency with which you ping the device to get data. Customers are doing anything and everything. Gaming offers data to interact with betting on a point in tennis – in-play betting. Banks are trading over the internet and must go through firewalls without opening security holes. Data must be secure and able to scale in transportation, retail, utilities, and more. The world is chatty and they want real-time responsiveness. You must be able to do this for tens of thousands of users without any latency issues. We are very agile, reliable, scalable, and able to help clients make more intelligent decisions. In a four-tier architecture, we’re the delivery tier. We provide the service needed to update the page or the screen. We get the relevant information to the application.
- Cloud and SaaS integration for financial services providing single sign on through Salesforce and integrating with on-premises data. Innovating using telematics and the connected car offering more services and experiences authenticated with APIs from car to mobile devices – omnichannel, omnipresent, always on, always connected. APIs are a foundation for innovation. They provide an abstraction layer for continuous innovation. Companies in the business of data are using APIs as a channel to sell services – data as a service.
- Ability to create a hybrid cloud in a sandbox – deploy in AWS and with VMWare. Enterprise applications in both places or enterprise application in cloud data and on premise. Uniform way for automated testing. It's a positive when we're able to bring them together in the sandbox and test on AWS.
- Many of our customers are using the company’s platform to simplify consumers’ everyday life. We work with the largest pharmacy benefits provider that fulfills most prescription orders, supporting one in thre prescriptions in the U.S. Instead of a patient having to worry about calling their insurance company to determine whether their insurance covers the medication, the pharmacy automatically has that information to prepare the prescription. We also enable one of North America’s leading mortgage lending companies to launch an online mortgage service, which allows consumers to be approved for a home mortgage in eight minutes. A process that used to take homebuyers weeks of calls and stacks of paperwork is now reduced to minutes and completely online because of our technology. Similarly, Livongo Health is reinventing the way people manage chronic conditions, such as diabetes, by leveraging our platform to integrate, analyze and share patient data (i.e. blood sugar, physical activity) collected its connected device with patients and physicians.
- 1) Creating test environments to validate successful application integration. 2) Synchronizing data sets from multiple disparate sources to the same point in time for integration testing. 3) Replicating data sets from one location to another for distributed applications - across datacenters and clouds. 4) Testing updates of applications to ensure the integration is still performing as expected (e.g. If customers update Oracle EBS, they need to validate that the new version doesn’t break any of the integration components).
What are some real world problems you see being solved with the integration of data and applications?
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.