7 Easy Steps to Reset Forgotten Root Password on CentOS/Red Hat
Forgot your root password on CentOS/Red Hat? Here's how to reset it.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
1. Boot the system and when you see the following message "Press any key to enter the menu", press any key. (You will see the list of available kernel versions.)
2. Press e in order to edit commands before booting.
3. Highlight the list item with vmlinuz in it by using the arrow keys and press e.
4. Now type single or init 1 at the end of the line.
5. Then press enter and b to boot the system with the new argument. (The system will boot into single user mode and you will see bash prompt)
Now it's time to change the password:
6. Type passwd
### Shell Commands ### passwd Enter new UNIX password: Retype new UNIX password: passwd: password updated successfully
7. Type reboot to restart the system.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.