RESTEasy 2: Now Apache v2 Licensed!
RESTEasy is a certified, fully-portable implementation of the JAX-RS specification. It can run in any Servlet Container (now including 3.0), and it can also achieve tighter integration with the JBoss app server.
While JAX-RS is a server-side spec, RESTEasy brings JAX-RS to the client-side through the RESTEasy JAX-RS Client Framework. The client-side framework lets developers map outgoing HTTP requests to remote servers using interface proxies and JAX-RS annotations.
The highlights of RESTEasy 2.0 include:
- CDI Support
- Spring 3.0 Support
- TCK 1.1 Compliance
- Async Servlet 3.0 Support
- Relicensed under ASL 2.0. We switched to be compatible with HornetQ and Drools as we're developing REST interfaces for these guys.
- Tons of bugfixes and performance improvements reported by the community over the past 8 months.
JBoss AS 6-Milestone 4 will include deeper integration with RESTEasy 2.0 which will facilitate automatic scanning, EJB injection, CDI injection, and more. RESTEasy will align the JAX-RS with all of the new features Java EE 6.
Here are the other major features of RESTEasy (pre 2.0):
- Portable to any app-server/Tomcat that runs on JDK 5 or higher
- Embeddedable server implementation for JUnit testing
- Client framework that leverages JAX-RS annotations so that you can write HTTP clients easily (JAX-RS only defines server bindings)
- Client "Browser" cache. Supports HTTP 1.1 caching semantics including cache revalidation
- Server in-memory cache. Local response cache. Automatically handles ETag generation and cache revalidation
- Rich set of providers for: XML, JSON, YAML, Fastinfoset, Multipart, XOP, Atom, etc.
- JAXB marshalling into XML, JSON, Jackson, Fastinfoset, and Atom as well as wrappers for maps, arrays, lists, and sets of JAXB Objects.
- GZIP content-encoding. Automatic GZIP compression/decompression suppport in client and server frameworks
- Asynchronous HTTP (Comet) abstractions for JBoss Web, Tomcat 6, and Servlet 3.0
- Asynchronous Job Service.
- Rich interceptor model.
- EJB, Seam, Guice, Spring, and Spring MVC integration