Run Apache Hive on Windows in 6 Easy Steps
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
note : you need to have cygwin installed to run this tutorial, as hadoop (needed by hive) needs cygwin to run on windows. at a minimum, basic, net (openssh,tcp_wrapper packages) and security related cygwin packages need to be present in the system.
here are the 6 steps:
1. download wso2 bam 2.0.0 . it’s free and open source.
2. extract it to a preferred location. let’s call it $bam_home.
3.start the server by executing the wso2server.bat file present in $bam_home/bin. the server would startup on the default port 9443 on the machine’s ip.
4. log in to the web console at https://localhost:9443 using the default credentials, i.e. username: admin, password: admin and clicking “sign-in”.
5. navigate to the “add analytics” option by clicking the menu item on the left hand menu.
6. now execute your hive script, by entering the script and clicking execute!
note: follow this kpi sample document to see a sample working for you in no time, with results appearing on a dashboard. also, notice that you can schedule the hive script as well.
i have to thank my colleague buddhika chamith , as all this was possible because of some grueling work done by him. also, i hate the fact hadoop and hive makes it so hard to run stuff on windows, especially since this is a java application. read about those concerns here .
Published at DZone with permission of Tharindu Mathew, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.