SAP S/4HANA: The Requirement Cut-Off Is Sooner Than You Think. Are You Ready?
SAP S/4HANA provides a framework that allows real-time computation capabilities and real-time analytics that uses the HANA system memory.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
SAP S/4HANA leverages the in-memory platform of the HANA system, including its columnar data storage mechanism. The result is real-time computation capabilities and real-time analytics. For this reason, many companies are making the transition; however, the requirements cut-off is coming up quickly. It is important for businesses to be ready.
For those who haven't heard, SAP S/4HANA is the successor to previous iterations of this important ERP, such as SAP R/3. This software package has been optimized for the in-memory database of the HANA system. Transitioning to this new system is going to lead to some major changes and it is important for large enterprises to be ready.
The Purpose of Cloud-Based Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Software
This software suite has been around for several years and exists as a large and comprehensive enterprise resource planning software package, also known as cloud ERP. The purpose of this software package is to help large enterprises cover their daily processes. Some of the functions of this software package include procuring to pay, request to service, order to cash, and plan to product functions. This software package has the ability to integrate functions from various industry solutions as well as from multiple lines of business.
This specific software package is also going to re-integrate a few portions of the Business Suite products that had been left out in prior versions. A few examples include products such as SRM, CRM, and SCM. Unfortunately, the Business Suite 4 version of this program runs only on the HANA database. Therefore, it is important for companies who rely on this software for their daily tasks to make sure they are prepared for this upcoming shift in solutions.
You may also enjoy: It's 6 Years From Now: Do You Know Where Your SAP S/4HANA Migration Is?
The Benefits of SAP ERP Cloud Solutions: S/4HANA
First, it is important to address why companies are making the shift to S/4HANA. This is an intelligent ERP system that leverages the total power of the HANA in-memory database. There are several key benefits of making the shift to this ERP system. These include:
- The Simplification of the System: This new software package brings a dose of simplicity to the world of information technology. Those who make the switch to this system will be able to centralize their hardware as well as their network resources. HANA will act as the digital core for business processes.
- Improved Performance: This system also offers improved performance. Those who use this system will be able to use live data to plan, analyze, execute, and generate reports. Furthermore, HANA will allow an organization to provide better service using customer-centralized applications.
- The Innovation: This version of HANA also acts as a foundation for further innovation down the road. It's no secret that technology is changing rapidly. Using HANA, large enterprises will be able to stay ahead of the curve by being in a position to make important decisions when the future arrives. The HANA system leverages data, speed, and context accessibility in a way that is, frankly, unparalleled when compared to other systems.
- The Cost: Adopting this system is an intelligent decision from a cost-efficiency standpoint. Using this system, enterprises will be able to combine their analytical and transactional processes into a single location. This is going to drive down costs.
- A Smooth Transition Process to a New System: Finally, adopting this platform will allow someone to transition smoothly to the cloud. Even though the move itself can happen at any time, it is far from simple. HANA is going to centralize everything in one place, helping with the move. At the same time, companies need to think carefully about the various considerations that need to be made prior to completing this transition.
Questions to Ask When Making the Move to HANA
When a company is getting ready to move to SAP S/4HANA Cloud , there are a few key questions that need to be asked. These questions will help companies assess their readiness for the upcoming shift. Some of the biggest questions include:
- What type of hardware is going to be needed to complete the shift to S/4HANA?
- What are the basic prerequisites that need to be met in order to shift an existing database to HANA?
- Which functionalities are going to work and which are going to be left out when the shift is made?
- What is the real business impact going to be when the company is moved to S/4HANA?
- How is this shift going to impact custom development?
- What needs to be done in order to streamline the transition?
- Is there a general roadmap put together by experienced professionals to help make this transition smooth?
The answers to these questions will help a company complete the transition to S/4HANA in a smooth way, ensuring they are ready.
Steps in Transitioning to the New HANA System
When an enterprise is making the move to this new system, there are several steps that are going to have to happen. Some of these steps include:
- The first step is to assess how the changes and benefits of this new system are going to impact the day-to-day processes of their own business.
- Then, businesses need to prepare for the transition. This is a time to collect valuable information, make sure that everything is present, and consider the mechanics of the transition.
- Next, companies need to consider the configuration, modifications, training, testing, and migration to the new platform.
- Businesses can then get ready for the "Go-Live" of HANA with personnel available to assist various employees, staff, and leaders with the new system.
This is a helpful roadmap of various steps that need to happen before a company can roll out this new system. As companies are going through these steps, there are a few checks that companies should be running. These include:
- Check the system to see if other potential software programs (such as SolMan SP level or ERP EHP level, or other programs) need to be upgraded prior to the deployment
- Assess the various components, add-ons, extensions, and functions to see if they will be compatible with the new HANA system
- Consider how this change is going to impact the behavior of various users, businesses processes, and organizational change management
- Think about the hardware sizing activities to see if hardware vendors must be contacted
- Take a look at the custom code of the business to see if it will be compatible with the new HANA system
Thinking about these steps ahead of time will save a significant amount of time down the road.
Rely on the Professional SAP BPC Services
It can be hard for a business to get ready for such a significant reason. Because of this, SAP BPC Services are available to help a company prepare for this transition. There is actually a readiness check service available from the parent company that users can visit in order to assess their readiness. This can end up saving large enterprises a significant amount of headache and stress when the time finally arrives. Try to stay ahead of the curve and assess whether or not the various requirements have been met. The new HANA system has a number of different benefits that large enterprises will enjoy.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.