Savant 2.0 Release Candidate 1 Available
Savant 2.0 release candidate 1 is available. Savant is a build tool and dependency management system that extends the functionality of Apache Ant. Savant is hosted at http://code.google.com/p/savant-build. Savant 2.0 will add a number of features including:
- Integration builds that make is simple to work on dependent projects concurrently
- A unified repository layout that mimics Maven 2's repository
- Better transitive dependency managemen
- Better version compatibility handling (and transitive handling)
- Better caching of downloaded dependencies for offline builds
- Better error handling when a dependency download fails
- A simplified project configuration file (project.xml)
- A command-line build tool that is a wrapper around Apache Ant and provides support for downloadable plugins similar to Maven
- A few pre-built plugins for Java projects
- A release plugin that assists in releasing projects stored in a SubVersion repository
- A plugin plugin that makes building custom plugins simple
- Updated documentation
The final version of Savant will hopefully be released before the end of the year, but we still need a lot of help testing the command line tool before it is released. We are also looking for a hosting company to help support our open source dependency repository.
You can download this release and follow the documentation to get up and running. Both the downloads and documentation over located at the Google Code project.