Sencha Touch or jQuery Mobile?
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
If you ever need to choose between jQuery Mobile and Sencha Touch, you need to consider these factors before making your decision:
About jQuery Mobile
- It’s a UI-only library, which relies on jQuery and jQuery UI for DOM manipulation, Ajax and other utilities
- To create UI widgets, you generally need to hand-code their html, and the library enhances their look and feel
- As it works by enhancing the html you create, it allows you to re-use or re-purpose existing html
- It has a relatively small object model, which makes it faster and easier to learn, specially if you are familiar with jQuery
- It does not impose a coding discipline or structure, which gives you flexibility, but can lead to applications that are difficult to maintain
- Easier to integrate with other frameworks
- Targets more devices than Sencha Touch
- Not tied to a particular vendor
About Sencha Touch
- It’s a library that tries to do it all: UI widgets, DOM manipulation, Ajax and other utilities
- Does not depend on other libraries
- Has a large object model, which provides more features out of the box, but takes longer to learn
- Imposes a coding structure and discipline, which generally results in well-organized code
- Provides built-in server and local storage abstractions, which make it easier to perform CRUD operations on relational data
- Has built-in facilities for creating iOS and Android native packages
- Targets less devices than jQuery Mobile
Now go ahead and start building that application.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.