The Agile Zone is brought to you in partnership with JetBrains. Learn how Agile Boards in YouTrack are designed to help teams plan, visualize and manage their work in an efficient manner, with support for both Scrum and Kanban processes.
I’m going to be volunteer teaching AP computer science this fall at a NYC high school! Aside from actually prepping them for the AP exam, I’ve been thinking about how to share the programming culture I love with the students. Off the top of my head, I’d like to tell them about:
Stuff you can do to program for fun:
- Game jams
- Project Euler
Where programmers hang out:
Programming culture and history:
- Basic security: anyone can come up with a scheme that even they, themselves cannot break.
- How the internet/websites work.
- Notables in the field: stories about Stallman, Knuth, Linus.
- Cartoons: XKCD… there must be others.
- Read Joel Spolsky’s blog.
I’m sure there’s loads of stuff I’m missing. Any other ideas?