I’m going to be volunteer teaching AP computer science this fall at a NYC high school! Aside from actually prepping them for the AP exam, I’ve been thinking about how to share the programming culture I love with the students. Off the top of my head, I’d like to tell them about:
Stuff you can do to program for fun:
- Game jams
- Project Euler
Where programmers hang out:
Programming culture and history:
- Basic security: anyone can come up with a scheme that even they, themselves cannot break.
- How the internet/websites work.
- Notables in the field: stories about Stallman, Knuth, Linus.
- Cartoons: XKCD… there must be others.
- Read Joel Spolsky’s blog.
I’m sure there’s loads of stuff I’m missing. Any other ideas?