Users choose dedicated servers for their many advantages that no other hosting solution can offer. They provide high performance with better flexibility, scalability, and above all a greater degree of security. Although resources in dedicated web hosting are exclusively for one user and not shared with anyone else, still there lies the chance for security issues. There are certain smaller steps which dedicated server users must follow to additionally protect their servers like a pro:
Server Administration Tips
Use Only TLS protected interface: The dedicated server users should make sure they are using only a TLS protected interface for the server administration. It repels any attempt to steal server login information by encrypting the traffic between the server and the computers.
- Only Trusted systems: dedicated hosting users shall only use a trusted network and computers for server administration.
- Malware not allowed: Computers and networks used for server administration must be free from any malware. There should be no malicious element present in the systems or else attackers may gain access to server login details.
- SSH Rule: Change SSH port on the server to anything but 22. It prevents any brute-force attacks from making attempts to steal your server login data.
Select the right antispyware software to ensure high-level security for your dedicated servers. Also, regularly update them with the latest versions.
Disable All PHP Vulnerability
Few PHP settings may prove vulnerable for dedicated servers which may invite security attacks.
- allow_url_include: This PHP setting is not required by the PHP applications, so there will be no harm in disabling it for better security.
- allow_url_fopen: Although few PHP applications may need allow_url_fopen, this PHP setting can bring security threats for the users. So, it’s better to disable this PHP setting for an additional dedicated server security.
- There are many other such PHP settings which experts suggest to be disabled. So be wary of such vulnerabilities and turn them off immediately.
- Password Protocols: Time and again, dedicated server users are suggested to follow strict password protocols to ward off any security threats. Setting a guessable password can be easily decrypted and stealing information will be like a cakewalk for hackers. Set strong passwords with complex alphanumeric characters that can’t be deciphered easily. Also, sharing login information is not suggested at all. Prevent any unauthorized invasion by adhering to these password rules.
- Physical Security: Last but not the least, physical security for your dedicated servers is equally important. Make sure you are hosted at a secure location with a renowned provider of dedicated hosting.
You can also ask your dedicated host for managed services to get maximum security advantages. Dedicated hosting experts will ensure all these security measures are effectively implemented for your dedicated servers.