One of the toughest challenges for web developers is building quality websites and web apps in the shortest possible time; this is why programmers across the globe prefer to use PHP frameworks. However, there are many other frameworks available. Symfony and Laravel are two that stand out with few amazing features. This brings up the question, "Symfony or Laravel, Which PHP framework should you choose?"
Before we start discussing the differences of both the frameworks, let us first see the features that they have in common. After thorough research at ValueCoders, we found there are many crucial ones present in both of them.
As per example, Symfony and Laravel both support Scaffolding and full-text search. Cross-platform features and acceptance of multilingual content are also common in both of them. Take a look at the image which tells more about the similarities.
Now, since you know the common features of Symfony and Laravel, let's see what Symfony has to offer specifically.
Symfony is well-suited for large-scale or complex enterprise level projects; it quite a stable framework. Symfony 3.1 (the current version) helps developers to create scalable websites that are suitable for changing business requirements. Symfony can also work with some of the largest open source platforms such as PHPBB, Piwik, and Drupal.
Here are some other important Symfony features:
- There are many easy scalability options available in Symfony. You can do that by optimizing propels, limiting the number of objects to hydrate, minimizing the number of queries with joins and avoiding the usage of temporary arrays.
- If Symfony is implemented well, then its speed is the sum of the individual speeds of all the features it includes. Or, from a different angle, Symfony's speed is the consequence of a series of choices that you make to decide whether a feature should make it to the core or not. Hence, it is faster than many other PHP frameworks if you use properly.
- It is adaptive to a user’s needs and offers optimum performance. Symfony2 introduced unique HTTP and HTTP cache handling by being an HTTP-centric request/response framework. Also, it increases performance by allowing full use of advanced features like ESI for separating the different parts of your page/application.
- Symfony provides reusable components reducing overhead costs. There are many of them and you can check some of the best practices here.
Laravel is a PHP framework purely meant to develop MVC-based applications. It is an open source PHP framework that is known to be the finest among the PHP family.
Here are some of the key advantages of developing with Laravel:
- Laravel enforces constraints between multiple database objects with the help of an advanced query builder mechanism. Apart from that, it provides an easy version control system that helps by simplifying management of migrations.
- The framework has an auto-loading facility and does not need manual maintenance or inclusion paths. Also, it helps in generating new tools with the help of an IoC container.
- Authentication is one the most important factors of any web development project. With Laravel, it is much simpler as it contains the ready to use inbuilt authentication system. You just need to configure database migrations, controllers , models, and views to make the system work.
- Until now, developers were bound to declare application events as a string. However, you can declare new events in the application using “event object” with Laravel . The event objects are created using php artisan make:event <event-name> and event header objects are created using php artisan handler:event <handler-name>. You can fire the events using Event::fire(new Event(params)) once you create any new event. This way it becomes much easier and faster to code.
The Bottom Line
Before you finalize your decision, you should always remember that it's not about the number of features of the framework offers but it’s about the actual functionality of the framework and how the functionalities can be utilized within your own web development project. Hence, choose one of the frameworks as per your project needs to save time and cost.
This post was originally published on ValueCoders.