Thanks to Erin Stellato for hosting this months #TSQL2sday. Erin wanted to know all about what we do every day!
Interestingly, when I was much younger, I wanted to be a Fire-fighter or a Pilot. I’m still quite keen on learning to fly, but that’s looking less likely as time is going by (Eyesight, time, age and cost in that order).
Now though, and for the past 12 years or so, I work as a Consultant. It’s a nice, vague title. It started out as ‘Technical Consultant’, moved through Systems Consultant, and CRM Consultant. It’s currently bouncing between BI Consultant and Data Warehousing Consultant depending on the project I’m working on.
The day started by sitting in a traffic jam. Pretty common that, unfortunately.
However, when I made it to my desk, I did a couple of checks of a server that I was running maintenance jobs on overnight. All was well, so I dived into email.
A couple of interesting items in there, one was a link about a Pigeon with a USB stick being faster than UK broadband (BBC link here). Also, was an invitation to the Microsoft Hadoop on Azure trial, which looks really interesting, and something I’ll have a look at next week (link here).
Then, I started work on a Customer project that I’m working on this week. It’s effectively adding two additional country feeds (Spain and France, since you asked), to a data warehouse. The customer is using WhereScape RED, so it was a pretty straightforward matter of dragging and dropping the tables from the DB2 source system, into the ETL tool. WhereScape RED then generates the stored procedures to allow the ETL process to run, to get the data into the DWH.
Sounds a pretty straightforward process, however, there are 91 tables, and a couple of minor modifications to each one. So that took up all of my morning.
The afternoon was pretty much taken up by an interesting problem with a BusinessObjects (XI4)environment. It was apparently continually running a query against the SQL Server database. We managed to prove it was the BO server doing this by changing the service account it was running as. The query could be seen in sp_whoisactive (thank you @AdamMachanic) to be run by a different user. The query was proceeding to take the server utilisation to 100%, which meant that the other databases on the server couldn’t effectively service user queries.
To temporarily resolve this issue, we put Resource Governor on, which restricted the BusinessObjects service to 25% of the CPU power, thereby letting the other users have some resources.
I found a really helpful query that helped me to find the queries that were being run. The query (from SQLAuthority, is copied here).
SELECT sqltext.TEXT, req.session_id, req.status,
req.command, req.cpu_time, req.total_elapsed_time
FROM sys.dm_exec_requests req
CROSS APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(sql_handle) AS sqltext
The final solution to the issue was to apply the BO XI4 SP4 patch, which appears to have resolved the issue.
There was also a couple of questions on licencing, to which both answers were ‘If it looks to be too good to be true, it probably is’.
And that, is pretty much my day; a comparatively quiet one, and for a change, I made it out the door and home at a reasonable time. I hope you found this interesting, and I look forward to reading about your day.
Thanks again to Erin for hosting.