The App Key Performance Indicators You Should Analyze (but Maybe Don’t)
We all get it — it's important to measure our app stats to see what's going on. But with so much information, how do we sort the wheat from the chaff?
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
When it comes to your mobile app, there are core key performance indicators (KPIs) you should track for success — but probably don’t. To deliver great user experience, you need access to the top mobile marketing and analytics platforms out there.
Apteligent has established itself as the leader in user-centric mobile app metrics management. It helps mobile dev and product teams deliver high-performing, highly reliable, and engaging mobile apps. Leanplum has emerged as the leader in mobile marketing, enabling mobile product owners and marketers to easily optimize from messaging to in-app content, with one fully integrated platform. The result: you drive more engagement and ROI.
Given that our companies help improve the apps everyone uses, we set out to find ways to work together in order to best serve our customers.
Here are four KPIs you should definitely track to monitor your UX. These KPIs can let you know what elements to A/B test to keep users happy. There’s a plus side to user satisfaction that extends far beyond engagement; you impact retention and encourage users to spread word-of-mouth buzz about your app, leading to organic acquisitions.
1. App Crashes
Apteligent provides rich app experience data, including detailed information on app crashes. Apteligent’s real-time crash reporting delivers key functionality designed to help you resolve issues quickly. You can:
- Monitor crashes in real-time and organize them into manageable groups to quickly fix issues before they affect users.
- Reproduce problems by retracing your users’ steps using automatic breadcrumbs.
- Easily identify where and why problems occur, by factors like geography, app version, device, and OS.
- Prioritize crashes and development resources based on user impact.
- Simplify impact analysis by grouping similar crashes, so you can prioritize by the impact on business and users affected.
These crashes can now be used to trigger Leanplum’s mobile engagement platform. Once the problem is located or the bug is fixed, you can use Leanplum to target all users who experienced a crash and optimize the resulting in-app experience. For example …
- After the crash, send the user a push notification with Leanplum’s Programmatic Delivery. This capability automatically sends messages to segments, in response to events like news updates, content releases, promotions, app crashes, and more. In the message, let users know you’re working to improve reliability.
- Don’t give up after the first try. If the user doesn’t open the app again by the next day, automate a drip campaign with Leanplum’s Lifecycle Engine. Send a push notification offering an incentive, like five percent off a shopper’s next purchase or free in-game currency. If the user doesn’t respond to that offer, you can follow-up with an email two days later.
- If you’re trying to get App ratings, segment your users to exclude those who have experienced multiple crashes, only asking those who’ve had a great app experience.
These examples show users you care about their experience and encourages loyal behavior. Maintaining access to rich data is nothing if you can’t act on it.
2. App Abandonment With Uninstall Tracking
Using the combination of Apteligent and Leanplum gives you complete insight into app abandonment and uninstalls — the bane of all mobile product owners. Specifically, both companies’ data highlights key areas of user friction and highlights areas for improvement. The goal is to keep your users happy and your app in heavy rotation.
Using Apteligent’s UserFlows functionality, you can first identify the most important flows or actions in your app, connect them with critical business metrics, then proactively resolve code, network, and SDK issues causing friction for your users. Combined with Apteligent Benchmarking, you can compare and contrast key benchmarks such as app load time, (the critical indicator for app abandonment), crash rates, etc., versus other apps in your app store category, OS, and even device type.
Leanplum captures all app user lifecycle events and behaviors, taking the mystery out app uninstalls by specifically tracking them on a daily basis. Use user lifecycle events, e.g. first open, frequency, etc., to trigger automated single message and multi-touch cross-channel campaigns to drive app engagement and prevent app abandonment and uninstalls. A/B test these messages or entire Lifecycle Engine drip campaigns to ensure they’re effective. By understanding how various features and push campaigns affect uninstalls, you can optimize your app to ensure that you hit your KPIs and increase customer value.
Once you find the common action, you can understand what to do in the future to retain your users. You can:
- Fix the bugs that cause crashes
- Improve your onboarding flow with a tutorial
- Tailor your messages to more relevant audiences
- And adjust the timing when ads appear
3. User Retention & Monetization
Keeping your users happy and engaged release after release is one of the most challenging aspects of mobile development and is key for successfully monetizing your app. There are different ways to define success for every type of app. For example:
- A branded app from a large retailer might want to keep brand awareness high and lure people into brick-and-mortar stores.
- An app that monetizes through ads might need to improve the length of in-app sessions.
- A game may bring in revenue primarily from in-game currency, and need a large user base that opts in to push notifications.
- Media apps may focus solely on closing the trial-to-subscription.
And so on, and so on. The point being, success means something different to everyone. Go beyond vanity metrics to discover what results in longer sessions, more purchases, and general downstream actions. By using Apteligent with Leanplum, you get the real-time insights and deep analytics you need to help your users follow that Yellow Brick Road.
With Apteligent’s UserFlows, you get immediate feedback on the most critical user activities you define. Which screens or processes are users spending their time, which ones are they skipping or having difficulties with? Are they following the expected path you laid out for them in the navigation or are they going rogue with unexpected consequences? Apteligent helps you see what they’re seeing across geographies, devices, OS, and networks.
Here are some of the insights Apteligent helps you to uncover at a glance.
Here’s a peek at a few metrics you get with Leanplum.
Not only do we offer automated insights with highlighted metric tiles that make it easy to see statistical significance, but we also provide confidence intervals so you understand when you have enough data to make a decision on your campaign. Get a shared analytic framework to assess all of your mobile app marketing needs, with a holistic view of performance across messaging and in-app UI.
Published at DZone with permission of Chris Beauchamp, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.