The Basics of Big Data
The Basics of Big Data
Look at some introductory big data articles on DZone, explore the concept of big data elsewhere on the web, and look at some publications related to big data.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Hortonworks Sandbox for HDP and HDF is your chance to get started on learning, developing, testing and trying out new features. Each download comes preconfigured with interactive tutorials, sample data and developments from the Apache community.
Welcome back to our monthly big data series! It's been a while. Last time, we dove into data visualization. This time, we're going to take a step back so that we can truly understand big data before we conquer more complicated things like data science and business intelligence. In this article, we're going to look at some introductory big data articles on DZone, explore the concept of big data elsewhere on the web, and look at some publications related to big data.
Check out some of the top introductory big data articles on DZone to understand the basics of big data, why Apache Kafka and Ignite are both integral to big data, why you should learn Python, and more.
- A Beginner's Guide to Big Data by Kamesh Ganeon. Everything is being driven by big data analytics — as it should be! But what exactly is big data? How exactly can you benefit from it?
- What Is Kafka? by Jean-Paul Azar. Kafka is often used in real-time streaming data architectures to provide real-time analytics. Learn its specific use cases and why it's exploding in popularity.
- 4 Reasons You Should Learn Python by Arani Chatterjee. If you're going to be working with big data, it's imperative that you know Python. Here's a detailed article explaining why.
- What Is Apache Ignite? by Dmitriy Setrakyan. Apache Ignite is simple enough — but to get a complete picture, getting the answers to several "Is Ignite a...?" questions is a great way to fully understand it.
- 51 Big Data Terms You Need to Know by the DZone Editorial Team. We put together a list of some of the biggest definitions that you need to know when it comes to big data. Check this out to clear up any confusion you may have about terminology!
PS: Are you interested in contributing to DZone? Check out our Bounty Board, where you can apply for specific writing prompts and win prizes!
Big Data Bonanza
Let's journey outside of DZone and check out some recent news, conferences, and more that should be of interest to big data newbies.
- 11 Must-Attend Big Data Conferences for Big Data Analysts. Check out some of the biggest conferences to help you get introduced to the world of big data.
- Explaining Big Data. In this introductory video, learn about big data characteristics, technologies, and opportunities.
- Mastering Big Data Analytics. This website offers 50 courses, blogs, tutorials, and more for mastering big data analytics! Be sure to check it out to learn about anything related to big data.
Dive Even Deeper Into Big Data
- The DZone Guide to Big Data: Data Science and Advanced Analytics. Explore the critical capabilities in next-generation self-service data preparation tools and dive deep into applications and languages affiliated with big data.
- Apache Spark: An Engine for Large-Scale Data Processing. Get an introduction to Spark, learn about its place in big data, walk through the setup and creation of a Spark application, and get an explanation of commonly used actions and operations.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.