The Basics of Databases
The Basics of Databases
In this article, we're going to look at some introductory database articles on DZone, explore the concept of databases elsewhere on the web, and look at some publications related to databases.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Running out of memory? Learn how Redis Enterprise enables large dataset analysis with the highest throughput and lowest latency while reducing costs over 75%!
Welcome back to our monthly database series! Last time, we took a look at the biggest database articles and news from the month of March. In this article, we're going to look at some introductory database articles on DZone, explore the concept of databases elsewhere on the web, and look at some publications related to databases.
Check out some of the top introductory database articles on DZone to understand the basics of databases,
- The Types of Modern Databases by John Hammink. Where do you begin in choosing a database? We've looked at both NoSQL and relational database management systems to come up with a bird's eye view of both ecosystems to get you started.
- Making Graph Databases Fun Again With Java by Otavio Santana. Graph databases need to be made fun again! Not to worry — the open-source TinkerPop from Apache is here to do just that.
- How Are Databases Evolving? by Tom Smith. One way that databases are evolving is through the integration and convergence of technologies on the cloud using microservices.
- 10 Easy Steps to a Complete Understanding of SQL by Lukas Eder. Too many programmers think SQL is a bit of a beast. It's one of the few declarative languages out there, and as such, behaves in an entirely different way from imperative, object-oriented, or even functional languages.
- MongoDB vs. MySQL by Mihir Shah. There are many database management systems in the market to choose from. So how about a faceoff between two dominant solutions that are close in popularity?
PS: Are you interested in contributing to DZone? Check out our Bounty Board, where you can apply for specific writing prompts and win prizes!
Databasin' It Up
Let's journey outside of DZone and check out some recent news, conferences, and more that should be of interest to database newbies.
Online Database Resources. On this webpage, get a glossary of database terms and get links to other relevant database resources.
What Is a Database and SQL? This video tutorial explains the broad concept of database management systems.
What Is Database Administration and Is It the Career Path for You? Learn the answers to questions like, "What is database administration?" and "Is database administration right for you?
Dive Even Deeper Into Database
- The DZone Guide to Databases: Speed, Scale, and Security. Advances in database technology have traditionally been lethargic. That trend has shifted recently with a need to store larger and more dynamic data. This DZone Guide is focused on how to prepare your database to run faster, scale with ease, and effectively secure your data.
- Graph-Powered Search: Neo4j & Elasticsearch. In this Refcard, learn how combining technologies adds another level of quality to search results based on code and examples.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.