The Best of IoT: Tutorials and Articles
See the top articles of the IoT Zone, with topics like Raspberry Pi, MQTT, Arduino, IoT security, IoT in agriculture and healthcare, and more!
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
We've compiled the best of the best from the IoT Zone, where you'll find articles and tutorials using Arduino, Raspberry Pi, MQTT, and microcontrollers. You'll also see lists of different IoT platforms and augmented reality SDKs as well as Arduino alternatives if that's not your thing. We also pulled together articles on IoT and agriculture, healthcare, transportation, and much more. Enjoy!
Tutorials and Projects
- How to Set Up an OpenVPN Server on a Raspberry Pi by David Cabanero — Want to learn more about how to set up an OpenVPN server on a Raspberry Pi? Check out this post to learn how with the Remote Access VPN.
- MQTT Publishing and Subscribing Messages to MQTT Broker (CloudMQTT) Using .NET C# MQTT Client Library by Kapil Khandelwal — In this article, learn how to use MQTTnet .NET C# MQTT Client Library to publish and subscribe messages to MQTT Broker.
- Raspberry Pi IoT: Sensors, InfluxDB, MQTT, and Grafana by Francesco Azzola — Learn how to build a dashboard based on Grafana that visualizes data acquired by sensors.
- How to Choose a Microcontroller for IoT by Jessica Califano — Most IoT devices use some kind of microcontroller. Learn more about selecting one for your IoT device.
- MQTT Client Load Balancing With RabbitMQ and Spring Cloud by Radwan Nizam — Expand your knowledge of MQTT Client and load balancing.
- How to Set Up Amateur Radio Digital Voice Hotspot With Pi-Star and mmdvm by Kevin Hooke — Want to learn how to set up an amateur radio digital voice hotspot? Check out this post to learn how using mmdvm and Pi-Star setup —DSTAR, DMR, and other modes.
- Building the World's Largest Raspberry Pi Cluster by Gerald Venzl — Oracle's Raspberry Pi Supercomputer, the largest Raspberry Pi cluster known to exist, got awarded one of the Top 10 Raspberry Pi Projects of 2019 from Tom's Hardware.
- Programming the ESP8266 With the Arduino IDE in 3 Simple Steps by Mateo Velez — Learn how you can get your ESP8266 up and running ASAP using the Arduino IDE.
- Driving a DC Motor With an Arduino and the L293D Motor Driver by Austin Spivey — This handy tutorial will teach you how to work a DC motor with an Arduino and an L293D motor driver with some quick connections and a bit of code.
- Arduino: Using millis() Instead of delay() by Mads Aasvik — Using the delay() function for your Arduino projects? In many cases, it might be better to use millis() as a more accurate, non-blocking alternative.
- Setting Up Your Own Arduino IoT Cloud Server by Wilfred Nilsen — In this article, we will show you how to set up your own online service by setting up a Virtual Private Server (VPS) and server software for your Arduino IoT project.
- Implement Arduino REST API in IoT Projects by Francesco Azzola — This article demonstrates how to use REST-style requests with an Arduino and LED device and introduces the aREST library.
- Introduction to IoT Sensors by Francesco Azzola — This great introduction to prototyping boards and sensors will get you collecting data from Arduinos and Raspberry Pis in no time at all.
IoT Platforms and SDKs
- Internet of Things: 4 Free Platforms to Build IoT Projects by Francesco Azzola — If you're looking to get started with a new idea in IoT, check out these free platforms.
- 12 IoT Platforms for Building IoT Projects by Francesco Azzola — This post includes a longer list of 12 platforms for building IoT projects.
- Top 11 Cloud Platforms for Internet of Things (IoT) by Diksha Rana — Looking over the top 11 cloud platforms for Internet of Things (IoT), we highlight the importance of scalability, cost, and connectivity.
- 12 Best Augmented Reality SDKs by Michael Romilly — Check out the top augmented reality SDKs for your AR development projects.
- 10 Arduino IDE Alternatives to Start Programming by Francesco Azzola — Looking for an alternative to the standard Arduino IDE for your next project? Check out this post on the top ten Arduino IDE alternatives to learn more.
Analyses and Opinions
- Home Automation Using IoT by Hardik Shah — This comprehensive guide to IoT and home automation covers commonly used architectures, platforms, sensors, and prototyping techniques.
- Apache Kafka and MQTT: End-to-End IoT Integration by Kai Wähner — Take a look at two different alternatives for building this integration. Both solutions allow highly scalable and mission-critical integration of IoT scenarios, however, they use different concepts, including trade-offs.
- IoT Systems: Sensors and Actuators by Kayla Little — With data being a key focus of IoT, it's even more important to ensure the data is accurate. Here's how sensors and actuators can be used to ensure that accuracy.
- IoT in Agriculture: Five Technology Uses for Smart Farming and Challenges to Consider by Maria Aleksandrova — Want to learn more about improving farming practices? These IoT solutions can help increase crop yields and overall efficiency in the AgriTech industry.
- Top 5 Use Cases of IoT in Transportation by Sanjeev Verma — The Internet of Things is rapidly changing the transportation industry. Check out this post to learn more about the top five uses of IoT in transportation.
- IoT in Healthcare: Use Cases, Trends, Advantages, and Disadvantages by Victor Osetskyi — Learn more about the state of IoMT, or the Internet of Medical Things.
- Problems With the Internet of Things You Need to Know by Chris Albert — Interested in learning more about the future of IoT devices? There are growing problems in the development of IoT devices that you should know.
- Security Sensor Tutorial Using PIR Sensor and ESP8266 by Austin Spivey — This tutorial demonstrates how to create a security sensor, using a PIR sensor, ESP8266, and the Arduino IDE, to indicate both high and low movement.
- MQTT Security: Securing a Mosquitto Server by Francesco Azzola — Learn how to encrypt your data for its transit via MQTT. We'll use Mosquitto MQTT Server for this experiment in IoT protocol security.
- Reverse Engineering of a Not-So-Secure IoT Device by Erich Styger — This article describes the investigation and analysis of an IoT device placed in shared rooms and under desks, as well as the possible problems and proposed improvements.
- IoT Security Challenges and 5 Effective Ways to Handle Them by Toby Nwazor — There are some major security challenges facing IoT. Let's take a look at how to effectively handle them.
- The Five Biggest Security Threats and Challenges for IoT by Albert Smith — Check out the biggest challenges facing security and IoT devices, including vulnerability, easy exposure, and more.
- Secure Communication With TLS and the Mosquitto Broker by Erich Styger — Mosquitto is a popular communications broker for IoT apps. That makes them important to secure, which we'll do with the Transport Security Layer.
- Prepare Your Enterprise for Industrial IoT Success by Marc Phillips — ''The biggest problem with technology in IoT today is a problem with the methods for evaluating IoT technology itself.''
- Top Three Industrial IoT Implementation Challenges by Raj Ven — Check out this post on challenges to IIoT, including security, connectivity, and integration.
- How IoT Enhances Asset Tracking in Industrial Markets by Jordan Eller — Check out this post to learn more about IoT in industrial markets.
- Benefits of Industrial IoT in Condition Monitoring by Hemendra Singh — This article takes a look at condition monitoring and how it can be implemented in industrial IoT.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.