The Best Serverless Resources
The Best Serverless Resources
We take a look at some of the best resources on the web to help you with your serverless journey!
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Serverless is by all means one of the fastest growing trends amongst developers and with good reason. It solves a lot of problems that traditional servers face, problems like the scalability or the ever-growing problem of high hosting bills.
The technology is new in the sense that it's only now available to the masses at a decent cost, but cloud computing like function as a service and backend as a service providers have been around for years, passing the test of time as a viable option for small developers to large-scale enterprise solutions.
While there a lot of benefits to switching to serverless technology I think that the biggest one might be the fact that your developers won't have to keep thinking about the infrastructure, server configuration, security concerns, updates, etc. Not worrying about what happens under the hood lets him concentrate on the business logic. A recent study pointed out that by going serverless you save an average of 4 developer workdays per month.
They say pictures are worth 1,000 words. Well, here's a little snapshot of what serverless is all about. And remember kids, sharing is caring.
Click the image to open the infographic
I'm glad you asked. There's a ton of information on the interwebs about the wonder that is serverless, so much information that it might seem hard to know where to start. Well, that's what this article is all about. I'll make a list of the most important information on serverless and the best tutorials updated regularly.
1. Getting Started with Serverless
Below you'll find a list of tutorials meant for the newcomers. The ones looking to take their first journey into serverless and need a place to start.
- A crash rouse on serverless with NodeJS - Perhaps one of the easiest tutorials to follow if you are a total newbie.
- Migrating your Node.js REST API to Serverless - From server to Serverless, a clean step-by-step tutorial
- Migrating your Node.js REST API to Serverless - Building a Serverless REST API with Node.js and MongoDB
- How to create a REST API in Java using DynamoDB and Serverless - Build a products-api serverless service that will implement a REST API for products
- Running a scalable & reliable GraphQL endpoint with Serverless - Learn how to streamline your existing workflow and handle complexity like a champ
- Serverless Framework example for Golang and Lambda - Start using Go with the Serverless Framework right now and deploy Lambdas to your heart's content
- How to build a static Serverless site with Netlify - A simple tutorial on how to build and launch a Netlify site on a serverless platform
- Serverless-Side Rendering With AWS Lambda & NuxtJS
- Rust on AWS Lambda with Neon & Cloud9
- Running a free Twitter bot on AWS Lambda
- Automatically delete old tweets using AWS Lambda
- How to Build Your First Serverless Website♡Aws
2. Serverless Privacy and Security
Security and privacy has always been a concern to site owners, regardless of the technology behind the website. Here's a list of the best tutorials and articles on this very subject.
- Securing Serverless APIs with JSON web tokens
- Serverless security risks, and where to find them
- Managing secrets, API keys and more with Serverless
3. Advanced Serverless Tutorials
Once you get familiarized with serverless you'll find yourself wanting more. Below you'll find a list of articles that should quench your thirst for serverless knowledge. You'll find that not every article in here will solve a difficult problem but I still added them to this list because they are comprehensive.
- Multi-region, multi-master application with Serverless and DynamoDB Global Tables
- How to use AWS Fargate and Lambda for long-running processes in a Serverless app
- Build a Python REST API with Serverless, Lambda, and DynamoDB
- Deploy AWS Lambda functions with aws-sam-cli and Travis-CI
- Creating Serverless Functions with Python and AWS Lambda
4. Serverless Tools
- Serverless monitoring - the good, the bad and the ugly - Monitoring tools for Serverless
- How to Test Serverless Applications - Serverless applications are quickly gaining in complexity-testing is key
5. Noteworthy Code Repositories for Serverless
- Serverless Examples - A collection of boilerplates and examples of serverless architectures built with the Serverless Framework and AWS Lambda
- AWS Serverless CRUD - An example implementation of a mobile backend for a movies database using AWS Lambda, API Gateway, and DynamoDb
- Cordova Serverless example - This is the backend AWS lambdas to handle the front end Cordova-Angular-example
I pledge to keep this list updated as much as I can but I welcome anyone wanting to lend a helping hand by sending an email to email@example.com
Published at DZone with permission of John Demian , DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.