In episode 4 of the Great Grommet podcast, Alan Souza and I were joined by digital accessibility pro Jennison Asuncion, who leads accessibility efforts at LinkedIn. We discuss the overall state of accessibility and Jennison, as a blind user himself, shares tips for making your digital applications more accessible.
Here’s an overview of the topics discussed in this episode:
- 0:00 — Grommet updates from Chris Carlozzi
- 4:00 — Meet Jennison Asuncion
- 4:53 — An overview of the CSUN Annual International Technology and Persons with Disabilities Conference
- 5:30 — Discussion on issues with navigating the web for a blind user
- 8:00 — Twitter’s new feature for accessibility: alternative access
- 9:00 — Jennison’s background in digital accessibility
- 10:16 — Jennison’s advice for those getting into digital accessibility
- 12:00 — Examples of how Jennison has educated others on accessibility
- 12:28 — Global Accessibility Awareness Day — May 19
- 16:30 — Recommendations for tools to use for testing website accessibility
- 21:03 — Discussing why is it important for enterprise apps to be accessible
- 24:00 — Recommending blogs that talk about accessibility
- 24:50 — Predicting where accessibility will be in 5 to 10 years
A full list of links mentioned in the podcast, including Twitter handles, accessibility meetups, event opportunities and apps, is located on the SoundCloud page.
We’d like to thank Jennison for joining us and hope you’ve enjoyed this newest podcast.
As always, be sure to leave us feedback and suggestions on what else you’d like to hear about in the comments below.