This Week in Data With Colin Charles #54: Percona Server for MySQL Is Alpha
Join Percona Chief Evangelist Colin Charles as he covers happenings, gives pointers and provides musings on the open source database community.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
I consider this to be the biggest news for the week: Alpha Build of Percona Server for MySQL 8.0. Experiment with it in a Docker container. It is missing column compression with dictionary support, native partitioning for TokuDB and MyRocks (excited to see that this is coming!), and encryption key rotation and scrubbing. All in all, this should be a fun release to try, test, and also to file bugs for!
Database paradigms are changing, and it is interesting to see Cloudflare introducing Workers KV a key-value store, that is eventually consistent and highly distributed (at their global network of 152+ data centers). You can have up to 1 billion keys per namespace, keys up to 2kB in size, values up to 64kB, and eventual global consistency within 10 seconds. Read more about the cost and other technicals too.
For some quick glossing, from a MySQL Federal Account Manager, comes Why MySQL is Harder to Sell Than Oracle (from someone who has done both). Valid concerns, and always interesting to hear the barriers MySQL faces even after 23 years in existence! For analytics, maybe this is where the likes of MariaDB ColumnStore or ClickHouse might come into play.
Lastly, for all of you asking me about when Percona Live Europe Frankfurt 2018 speaker acceptances and agendas are to be released, I am told by a good source that it will be announced early next week. So register already!
- Percona XtraDB Cluster 5.7.23-31.31 – based on Percona Server for MySQL 5.7.23, Galera replication library 3.24, wsrep API 5.7.23.
- MariaDB 10.2.18 – mariabackup supports DDL commands during backups.
- MariaDB Connector/Node.js 2.0.0 – still in alpha, but that version number has been bumped up.
- Amazon Aurora with PostgreSQL Compatibility Supports PostgreSQL 10 – comes with all the patches for 10.1/10.2/10.3
- 5th Annual RocksDB meetup at Facebook HQ – the meetup is filling fast, can’t believe it is happening for the fifth year! Congratulations, and now there is definitely even more interest as RocksDB becomes “end-user usable” via Percona Server for MySQL 5.7 & MariaDB Server 10.3!
- Open Source Summit Europe 2018 – 22–24 October 2018
I look forward to feedback/tips via Twitter @bytebot.
Published at DZone with permission of Colin Charles, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.