This Week in Spring: Reactor in Kotlin, Spring Boot, and REST Docs
In the newest installment of This Week in Spring, we'll dive deep into Spring Boot, improve our reactive programming in Kotlin, and generate some REST documentation.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Welcome to another installment of This Week in Spring! This week I’m in Omaha, Nebraska, speaking to customers and tonight I’ll be presenting at an event co-sponsored by the Omaha, JUG and the local Omaha, Spring Users Group, talking about reactive Spring. Don’t be shy, come out and say hi!
- Sébastien Deleuze just introduced the 1.0.0.M1 release of extensions supporting using Project Reactor in the Kotlin language.
- Spring REST Docs lead Andy Wilkinson just announced Spring REST Docs 1.2.0.RC1. Try it out now! For a good example of Spring REST Docs, scroll down and you’ll see a very nice one from a community member.
- Spring Cloud Data Flow contributor and all-around great human Thomas Risberg
just announced Spring Cloud Data Flow 1.2.M3.
- last week, continuing the Spring Tips series, I looked at the various options for deploying Spring Boot applications to Servlet containers.
- Going beyond the Spring Boot intelligent defaults? Need to debug to that next level? Join Nicolas Fränkel, Hybris as he takes us under the hood of Spring Boot on Thursday, April 13th.
- it’s still not too late to register for tomorrow’s webinar with Michael Plod (InnoQ) on Strategic (Domain Driven) Design with Spring Boot.
- Spring Cloud co-founder Spencer Gibb is at it again, this time working on a new Gateway project called Spring Cloud Gateway. This project is nowhere near finished or final, but now’s a great time to get the bits, kick the tires and feedback. Spencer’s been working hard adding all sorts of cool things, like request throttling.
- there are still some very interesting things that you can do with Netflix’s Zuul, too! If you want to learn more, check out the ever-expanding repository full of samples.
- Jenn Strater did a really nice job demonstrating Spring RESTDocs in this example.
- Finally! a proposal to deprecate (but of course never absolutely remove) Java’s finalization behavior
- My training course, Cloud Native Java, is now available on Safari and for purchase.
- I liked the most recent installment of Pivotal Conversations which discusses the CRE program speared by Pivotal and Google to ensure that Pivotal Cloud Foundry on Google Cloud Platform delivers a Google-level of reliability.
- Venkat Rangasamy has an interesting post on Production-Ready Microservices that talks about, but doesn’t focus on, Spring Boot.
- I liked this Italian-language post by Federico Paparoni on using the Spring Boot Actuator for metrics.
- Pivotal’s own Richard Seroter looks at using a single service registry to talk to coordinate both .NET and Spring Cloud-based Microservices.
- I also liked this Federico’s Italian-language post on supporting CRUD with Spring Data REST and Spring Data JPA
Spring Framework REST Web Protocols Spring Boot Spring Cloud Doc (computing) Kotlin (programming language)
Published at DZone with permission of Josh Long, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.
Fun Is the Glue That Makes Everything Stick, Also the OCP
Does the OCP Exam Still Make Sense?
A Data-Driven Approach to Application Modernization
Best Practices for Securing Infrastructure as Code (Iac) In the DevOps SDLC