This Week in Spring: Releases, Podcasts, Tutorials, and More
This Week in Spring: Releases, Podcasts, Tutorials, and More
We've got a lot in store This Week in Spring — check it out!
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Hi, Spring fans! What a week! I've just returned from Prague, the Czech Republic, where I was for the epic Geecon Prague 2019 event. (Thanks for voting my talk on Reactive Spring the #1 talk, Prague!). Now, I'm in Nantes, France, the DevFest Nantes show. I'd never been to Prague and I've never been to Nantes. So how's that for cool first-time appearances in one week?
Tonight, I fly to Paris, France, for customer meetings. Then, I fly on Thursday to St. Petersburg, Russia, for the Joker conference, where I'll be presenting on testing. I'll be co-presenting with Spring co-founder, my friend, and hero, the one, the only, the amazing and inimitable, a veritable font of kindness and wisdom, Juergen Hoeller! Then, on the 27th, I fly to Chicago. It's shaping up to be quite the week!
I've really enjoyed my time in Prague and now Nantes. Yesterday, I recorded three podcasts with folks from Microsoft and Pivotal, among others, so look forward to hearing from them in my podcast, A Bootiful Podcast. I also got to tour Nantes a little bit with my friend and Reactor/Spring teammate Simon Baslé. Merci, Simon!
I thought I was going to wake up and get this week's This Week in Spring roundup done and dusted before breakfast but it has turned out to be a whopper of a roundup! I hope you made a pot of coffee, this one's going to be a doozie!
- It's here! It's finally here! Spring Boot 2.2.0! There's so much good stuff I can't even! Check the blog, get the bits, and get to production!
- Spring Boot for Apache Geode & Pivotal GemFire 1.2.0.RELEASE is available now.
- Spring Session for Apache Geode & Pivotal GemFire 2.2.0.RELEASE is now available.
- In last weeks' A Bootiful Podcast, I interviewed Bytebuddy founder Rafael Winterhalter. Check it out!
- Spring Security OAuth 2.3.7, 2.2.6, 2.1.6, 2.0.19 was released.
- Spring Cloud Stream — functional and reactive!
- Simple Event-Driven Microservices with Spring Cloud Stream
- Spring founder and Atomist CEO Rod Johnson (@SpringRod) blogs about the journey of Spring in this blog, Eighteen Years of Spring. This was a followup to his epic talk at SpringOne Platform 2019 talk of the same name.
- The Spring Cloud Gateway RSocket module has been moved to
spring-cloud-incubator,pending the completion of the
rsocket-javasupport for routing and forwarding
- A third-party MySQL R2DBC implementation, supporting v.0.8.0 of the SPI, is available. Thanks, Mirro Mutth!
- A nice talk by Axon founder Allard Builjze, Event-driven microservices with Axon and Spring Boot. Check it out!
- Somebody recently asked me if I planned on doing a talk about the hexagonal architecture with Spring Boot. I had no plans. But someone else responded with this great talk from Spring I/O by Tom Hombergs!
- Wow! There's a new feature in IntelliJ IDEA, "Support for Reactor Debug mode," and it is awesome!
- There's a great piece by Tim van Baarsen answering the question, What's new in Spring Boot 2.2?
- SpringOne Platform 2019 was amazing and the videos are up! I'll be introducing some of them here.
- Check out Christopher Strobl's talk on "What's New in Spring Data Moore."
- Did you know that the fat-jar plugin that Spring Boot ships to envelope your Java application's
.jars inside another
.jarwas originally called, wait for it, Binks?
- I like this post in The Register, Created to mimic Heroku, Cloud Foundry explained by its chief technology officer.
- Event-Driven Java Applications with Redis 5.0 Streams, another great SpringOne Platform 2019 talk, this one by Mark Paluch
- Spring Data team member Jens Schauder's SpringOne Platform 2019 talk on Spring Data JPA is now up.
- Josh Long at SpringOne Platform 2019 — check it out!
- The Spring Initializr, the library that powers start.Spring.io, just had its first release hitting Maven Central.
- The 2019 Java Developer RoadMap
- The DO's and DON'T's of Reactive Programming — what a treasure!
- Building Resilient applications with Resilience4J
- Feature flipping for Java, a very cool talk!
- I loved this talk on R2DBC.
- Watch this video on "The State of Kotlin in Spring."
- The new power source for PayPal's JVM Framework — check it out!
- 13 Stream Processing Patterns for Building Streaming and Real-Time Applications: My views of the World and Systems. An oldie but a goodie!
- Richard Seroter has a great post on fronting web sites, a classic .NET app, and a serverless function with Spring Cloud Gateway.
- Did you see Spencer Gibb's SpringOne Platform 2019 Keynote? Here it is!
- The New Stack has a great interview with Pivotal VP Cornelia Davis on Implementing CI/CD and what it means for Java-based programs.
- I liked this introduction to Spring Cloud Contact!
- A fantastic Spanish-language talk on Spring Cloud Contract by Spring community friend Eddú Meléndez
- Spring Cloud Gateway and RSocket — watch it now!
- Oded Shopen has a fantastic talk called Microservices are for humans, not machines.
- Check out this amazing talk by Spencer Gibb and Cora Iberkleid introducing Spring Cloud Gateway and RSocket
- Love this episode of the Heavybit podcast, Ep. #13, Cloud Wrangling with Natalie Bennett of Pivotal.
- A nice post from TechCrunch, With Alibaba, Pivotal and Lightbend on board, Reactive flexes its ROI muscle in the microservices world.
- Adrian Cole, Tommy Ludwig, and Narayanan Arunachalam talk about distributed tracing in the wild!
- Check out what's new in the Spring Cloud products for the Pivotal Platform.
- Check out this amazing talk by Olga Maciaszek-Sharma on how to live in a post-Spring-Cloud world.
- A great The New Stack article from the Pivotal SpringOne Platform Keynote: Is Kubernetes Boring Yet? - The New Stack.
Published at DZone with permission of Joshua Long , DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.