Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
- Rhino: Download, unzip, go into its directory and type “java -jar js.jar”. Editing is limited, but you can fix that.
- Help: help()
- Better line editing: see section in “New in Rhino”.
- Rhino 1.7R2 does not support ECMAScript 5, yet. You need to check out and build the latest version.
- Check out: cvs -d :pserver:email@example.com:/cvsroot co mozilla/js/rhino
- Go into directory: cd mozilla/js/rhino/
- Built options: ant
- Build jar: ant jar
- node.js: Download, build and install (as explained on the website). Type “node” to start. Its editing is quite capable, it even shows properties if you hit Tab after the dot in input such as “obj.”.
- Shell documentation
- Help: .help
- Load a file: cannot be done from inside the shell
Inside Firefox, I’ve had good experiences with the Firebug console which allows you to explore data structures by clicking on the output.
Published at DZone with permission of Axel Rauschmayer , DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.