- The risk associated with deploying new code is not in the deploy itself but everything you did up to that point.
- The way to make deploying new code less risky is to do it more often, not less.
- Create a culture and environment that enables and encourages small, frequent releases.
- Everything fails. Embrace failure.
- Make deploys trivial, automated and tolerant of failure.
-- John E. Vincent
His second post, "Deploy ALL the Things" provides more concrete information about understanding Operations and the techniques required to manage risk and deploy strategically. A lot of the patterns are also found in our Continuous Delivery Refcard.
I encourage you to check out both of the posts linked below.
Sources: http://blog.lusis.org/blog/2011/10/18/rollbacks-and-other-deployment-myths/ http://blog.lusis.org/blog/2011/10/18/deploy-all-the-things/