Tomcat On Steroids (with EJB 3) = Apache TomTom
Apache TomTom is an opensource, easy to install EJB 3.1 container. It is lacking CDI, so it is not a full Java EE 6 WebProfile server.
- Download size (tomtom-220.127.116.113.zip ): 28 MB
- Installation = Unzip
- Disc size: 36,9 MB after installation
- Startup: same as tomcat: ./startup.sh
- Deployment: copy of the LeanestInterceptor.war into tomtom-18.104.22.1683/webapps. App is available under: http://localhost:8080/LeanestInterceptor/
- Full deployment of LeanestInterceptor took ~6 secs.
- Tested was: Servlet with injected and intercepted EJB 3
- TomTom is Apache Tomcat 6.0.29 bundled with Apache OpenEJB 3.1.3 (known for the extremely fast start-up times),Apache ActiveMQ 5.3.1, Apache CXF 2.2.10, Apache OpenJPA 1.2.1, and Apache Geronimo Connector & Transaction 2.1
Please keep in mind that the LeanestInterceptor is just a Smoke Test
The overall impression - good. There was no problem deploying the application. openEJB, however, tried to deploy the .DS_Store file as a WAR - but it couldn't :-): /Users/abien/work/servers/tomtom-apache-tomcat-6-1.0.29/webapps/.DS_Store: Unknown module type.
I had to extend the example with a @Local interface - and introduced so some bloat :-). Injection of @LocalBean into a servlet didn't worked. Still amazing: the same EJB sample works on Glassfish V3 and ...Tomcat. Download TomTom!, see also Release Notes.