Using the Actor Model With DDD in Reactive Systems
With interest in concurrency, the cloud, IoT, and more growing by the day, let's look at tackling them with actors, domain-driven design, and reactive systems.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Is the Actor Model just a new "shiny object" for developers to chase after, a fad soon to be abandoned? In fact, the Actor Model was first designed in 1973–over 20 years before brands like Yahoo! and Hotmail first showed up on the young internet. Created to address the long-term direction of computing and software development, the Actor Model is almost as old as object-oriented programming itself, and, according to Forrester Research in a recent webinar, is seeing “renewed interest as cloud concurrency challenges grow."
Fast forward to 2017, where we are faced with an online and mobile world that continues to grow exponentially, and a third wave of IoT aims to add hundreds of billions of connected devices to our lives. To manage today’s demanding needs and to prepare for the coming wave, enterprises like Intel, Samsung, Walmart, PayPal, Hootsuite, and Norwegian Cruise Lines (read these case studies) are embracing distributed, Reactive systems deployed on hybrid cloud infrastructures. In this webinar, special guest Vaughn Vernon explains why actors are so vital to the future of developing Reactive systems. You will learn:
- Why actors are so exceptionally well-suited for use with Domain-Driven Design, speaking the Ubiquitous Language of your core business domain.
- How actors are designed to gracefully handle failure, maintaining system resilience and responsiveness to users no matter what’s happening.
- How actors help you reactively scale your systems to meet concurrency demands, elastically growing up and out to handle peak load, and shrinking when not, to minimize your infrastructure footprint and hardware needs.
Watch The Full Video + Q/A (1 hour)
More Useful Resources...
- Read: Designing Reactive Systems With The Actor Model (free O'Reilly book)
- Watch: Benefits Of The Actor Model For Cloud Computing: A Pragmatic Overview For Java Architects (co-presented with Forrester Research)
- Learn from experts: Ask about our Embedded Lightbend Engineer (ELE) for kickstarting your Reactive initiatives
Published at DZone with permission of Oliver White, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.