The cismet team in Saarland, Germany, have made available a free NetBeans plugin, called BeanMill, for visualizing, sorting, and evaluating your log messages.
The provided features are subtle and flexible, as can be seen from the list of main features:
- Jump to the log messages in the editor
- Jump to stacktrace elements in the editor
- Filter with regular expressions
- Filter with your editor selection on the fly
- Show logmessages from certain classes
- Export/Import logmessages via XML
The homepage for the plugin is http://blogs.cismet.de/gadgets/beanmill/. Handily, for NetBeans plugin developers, you can also download the plugin's sources there. Getting started with the Beanmill plugin is easy:
- Go to Tools | Plugins and and use the Settings tab to register the BeanMill update center:
- After adding you are able to download the plugin Beanmill Logging Viewer from the newly created update center:
- When the plugin is installed, you immediately see the BeanMill window:
You can also show the BeanMill window by choosing Window | Beanmill from the menu bar.
- Now you can use the BeanMill window to evaluate your log message:
There are several handy features, such as a filter:
Go here and click the camera to see a movie on everything that the BeanMill plugin provides.