Ways for Companies to Develop and Deliver Better Software Faster
Data from nearly 1,000 global respondents cites substantial performance and business benefits from Cloud-based tools for DevOps.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
CA Technologies released a first-of-its-kind study to quantify the benefits for companies that combine DevOps methodologies with Cloud-based tools and delivery mechanisms. The new data from almost 1000 IT Decision Makers was revealed at the company’s first annual Built to Change Summit, and supported the announcement of innovations across the CA portfolio.
The online research study was conducted by Freeform Dynamics in early 2017 and indicates that companies practicing DevOps with Cloud-based tools and delivery results in:
- 81% improvement in overall software delivery performance (over an improvement of just 52% when practicing DevOps alone or 53% when leveraging Cloud without DevOps).
- Almost 2x faster software delivery speed.
- 80% better predictability of software performance.
- 66% improvement in software quality for fewer defects.
- 69% improvement in customer experience than baseline of traditional software development and delivery models.
- More than 2x better cost control for the tools and services that DevOps teams actually use.
The study makes direct comparisons between traditional software development and delivery methods, the use of DevOps and Cloud separately, and also with the extensive use of both together. The resulting statistics lay out definitive advantages of software delivery performance for any enterprise in terms of cost, quality and efficiency.
“Today, being built to succeed means being built to change. Working around the world with customers of all sizes, this change manifests in the move to public cloud workloads for greater flexibility, agility and cost efficiency. Our job is to ensure that companies have the choice to run their workloads where and how it makes sense. We provide the tools, technologies, and services to support this hybrid approach to internal development. Now the data proves the benefits and value of the approach,” said Ayman Sayed, president and chief product officer, CA Technologies.
To support this era of development and delivery, CA introduced new software to meet customer needs in any deployment. Innovations supporting microservices and container-based architectures, and driving overall modernization with machine learning and advanced analytics shared by CA include:
- CA Agile Central with Team Board, a new capability to bridge the gap between employee autonomy and company strategy with an unprecedented level of process flexibility supporting Scrum and Kanban at the team level, while helping ensure visibility and alignment to corporate strategy and direction.
- A holistic approach to API Management in the cloud with portfolio updates including CA API Developer Portal to support full lifecycle API Management for modern architectures, CA Live API Creator for instant, complete microservices creation and a gateway for microservices, currently in beta availability for Docker containers, to orchestrate and secure microservices.
- Orchestration across the entire software delivery chain in a single view with CA Continuous Delivery Director SaaS, now available in public beta, with analytics that provide visibility into time spent at each step in the software development lifecycle (SDLC) for faster software delivery. Integration across the CA portfolio with planning tools, CA Agile Central, CA BlazeAPI Test, a new public beta to meet critical performance metrics, performance testing tool CA BlazeMeter, release automation, operations and application testing with CA Veracode.
- CA’s Digital Experience Insights, now available in a public trial, is a SaaS-based analytics solution that correlates end-user, application and infrastructure monitoring to deliver business and operational insights necessary to improve digital experiences.
- CA Mainframe Operations Intelligence integration with the Automic ONE Automation Platform that uses machine learning for operational intelligence and real-time dynamic thresholds to proactively detect performance anomalies sooner and automate corrective action that prevents outages and slowdowns of mission essential systems.
- CA Veracode integration to support the fundamental shift to DevSecOps that incorporates security across the entire software lifecycle. By detecting and addressing security defects throughout the development process, companies can reduce the risk of the most common source of breaches: attacks on the application layer.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.
Tomorrow’s Cloud Today: Unpacking the Future of Cloud Computing
Building and Deploying Microservices With Spring Boot and Docker
Redefining DevOps: The Transformative Power of Containerization
Cypress Tutorial: A Comprehensive Guide With Examples and Best Practices