This Week in Spring (November 4, 2014)
This Week in Spring (November 4, 2014)
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Learn more about how to Prevent Slow or Broken APIs From Affecting Your Bottom Line.
[This article was written by Josh Long.]
Welcome to another installment of This Week in Spring! This week I'm on the road talking to enthusiastic Spring developers in Casablanca, Morocco at the JMaghreb conference and then it's off to London (again!) for the amazing Spring eXchange. If you're at either, be sure to say hi!
- Artem Bilan, Spring Integration ninja and a personal hero of mine, has just announced the Spring Integration RC1 release. I don't know if you've seen the Java configuration DSL, but it makes writing complex integration flows a breeze! It takes advantage of Java 8's lamba support. Check it out! Remember, microservices aren't exclusively REST centric. If you're trying to build a microservice and expose it over any other mechanism, I'd start with Spring Integration.
- Spring ninja Thomas Risberg just announced Spring for Hadoop 2.0.3! This release adds support for Apache Hadoop 2.5.1 (hadoop25) and Pivotal HD 2.1 (phd21).
- Spring Data ninja Christoph Strobl just announced Spring Data Evans service release 1 (SR1). The new release contains many important updates and is a recommended upgrade.
- I'll be doing a webinar with ZeroTurnaround's Adam Koblentz introducing how to use Spring (and Spring Boot in particular) and JRebel 6. Spring Boot makes Java as productive as it can get, but sometimes you need a little bit more to get around Java's traditionally awful support for things like live-reloading code during development (to expedite iteration). In this webinar, we'll look at how that's done with JRebel!
- Check out the replay of my webinar about Building “Bootful” UIs with Spring Boot and Vaadin
- Check out the replay of Russ Danner's webinar introducing how to build content-enabled web and mobile applications
- I loved Matt Raible's epic post introducing how he built a REST API using Spring MVC, SPring Data REST (HAL support), Swagger, Liquibase, and JAXB, all of it of course through Spring Boot. This post earned a bookmark!
- Did you see Thomas Risberg's epic talk on Spring Boot for Hadoop at the meetup last week in Boston? If not, check out the code and slides on GitHub! They're illuminating!
- Dennis Schulte, over on the CodeCentric blog put together a very nice post on using Logstash, ElasticSearch, and Spring Boot. Check it out!
- I spent some time helping a misguided few with the nuances of Spring's
@Qualifierannotation and published the details on the Spring blog. Hopefully this is helpful for somebody out there!
- Ben Hale, who leads the Java experience on Cloud Foundry and who is a Spring rockstar in his own right, did a guest post for New Relic on the 1-click deployment experience to setup New Relic on a Cloud Foundry based application. Definitely worth a read! If you want a look at what New Relic means for Spring developers, may I humbly recommend this webinar that New Relic's Ashly Puls and I did earlier this year?
- Recently, community member Marc Schipperheyn opened up a JIRA seeking guidance of the role of Spring in modern single-page application-style web applications. The ensuing discussion is very illuminating for numerous reasons besides that it'll inspire changes in our documentation! Check it out and your $02.00 if you've got it to contribute!
- Our pal Petri Kainulainen put together a nice post on resetting auto-increment columns before Spring-based unit tests
- Our pal Rafal Borowiec is back at it again, this time with a post that looks at how to create Spring Boot actuator endpoints
- Are you using Apache Camel? Did you know that it now provides a Spring Boot-based auto-configuration?
Published at DZone with permission of Pieter Humphrey , DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.