Now that media interest in the ‘ALS Ice Bucket Challenge’ had cooled off, what have we learnt?
1) A lot of people know a lot more about ALS then they did 2 months ago (even if it’s just the name),
charity has raised a lot of money ($98.2m between 29th July and 28th August
this year - compared with $2.7m donated during the same
3) It’s really hard to predict what is going to capture the public imagination…
The ice bucket challenge did capture the public imagination;
the stats are the stuff marketers’
· More than 2.4 million unique videos of the ice bucket challenge have been uploaded to Facebook
· More than 28 million people have posted, commented on or liked those videos
Twitter followers have increased from 8,975 in
· Average daily visits to the ALS association website were about 17,500 before the ice bucket challenge, compared with the peak of 4.5 million visits on 20 August (of which 83% were new to the site).
But what can small businesses learn from its
A simple call to action which results in a win-win.
The beauty of the call to action is that it presents a choice
of outcomes to participants – both of which
We know that content that arouses a strong emotion in people
will be more widely
Explicit requests to share content
The viral nature of the Ice Bucket Challenge was built into
its heart right from the very start; an integral part of it is challenging the
people in your immediate circle and then watching to see who they go on to challenge.
Plus, there is an immediate and highly
How should these three ideas shape your communications?
These three ideas aren’t new for
3. Make sure you include an explicit call to action plus an explicit request to share the message.
How should these three ideas shape your operations?
How many of us really think about reciprocal
Something to consider…
Esther Rutter is a freelance Copywriter who regularly contributes to Crystal Ball's small business blog with articles focussed around helping small businesses to boost productivity, reduce costs, improve customer service and improve health and safety.