What to See at JavaOne 2008?
What to See at JavaOne 2008?
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Get the Edge with a Professional Java IDE. 30-day free trial.
The point here, though, is to have a list of groupings (along the lines of specific tools or technologies), rather than individual recommendations, so that those interested in a particular grouping (which might cut through all the many different tracks, sessions, hands on labs, and BOFs) will have a list of topics that they can choose from.
So, here are some preliminary lists, to get started:
Top 10 Desktop Sessions at JavaOne 2008In John O'Connor's blog, you'll find Top 10 Desktop Sessions at JavaOne 2008, which, in summary, consist of the following:
- Desktop Track Overview & New Features in the upcoming Java 6u10 Platform, Session TS-6649
- Using JavaFX Script To Build Swing Applications, TS-6609
- Deep Inside JSR 296, the Swing Application Framework, TS-6605
- Extending Swing: Creating Your Own Components, TS-4982
- Nimbus: The New Face of Swing, Session ID TS-6096
- Extreme GUI Makeover: In the Real World, TS-6656
- Distributed Client-Server Persistence with the Java Persistence API, TS-5969
- Designing Graphical Model-Driven Applications: Lego MindStorm, TS-6298
- The NetBeans Platform Compared to the Eclipse Rich Client Platform, TS-4895
- Beans Binding: Good for the Heart, TS-6657
Java EE 6 at JavaOneRoberto Chinnici's blog tells you all about Java EE 6 at JavaOne, highlighting the following:
- TS-5343 EJB 3.1 (Tuesday, 12:10pm)
- TS-5509 JPA 2.0 (Wednesday, 1:30pm)
- TS-5415 Servlet 3.0 (Thursday, 10:50am)
- TS-5425 JAX-RS 1.0 (Tuesday, 12:10pm)
- TS-5979 JSF 2.0 (Thursday, 2:50pm)
- TS-5286 WebBeans 1.0 (Wednesday 10:50am)
- BOF-5624 Connector Architecture 1.6
- BOF-5039 JDBC 4.1
- BOF-5753 EJB 3.1
NetBeans Platform at JavaOne
The NetBeans Platform Homepage informs of a set of related activities at JavaOne that interested parties might like to know about:
- Tuesday 13.00-13.30: Book Signing for "Rich Client Programming: Plugging into the NetBeans Platform"
- Tuesday 20.30-21.20: Developing and Supporting a Plug-in for Eclipse, the NetBeans IDE, and IDEA (BOF-5193)
- Wednesday 18.30-19.20: Toward a Consumer IDE: Get What You Want When You Want It (BOF 5091)
- Thursday 09.30-10.30: The NetBeans Platform Compared to the Eclipse RCP (TS-4895)
- Thursday 10.50-11.50: Creating Better Applications at Boeing with the NetBeans Platform Application Framework (TS-5541)
- Thursday 16.10-17.10: blueMarine: Or Why You Should Really Ship Swing Applications (TS-5483)
- Thursday 18.30-19.20: NetBeans Platform vs. Eclipse RCP (BOF 4896)
Any other lists such as the above out there? Groovy? Ruby? Scala? Some specific framework, for example? Or a specific domain, such as music (the JFugue API is back again, in at least two sessions that I know of). Semantic web? Mobile devices? Java Card API? Would be good to know.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.