Application Cloud Migration or Application Modernization?
In this post, we'll understand application cloud migration and application modernization. We'll also discuss its options, benefits, and overall importance in today's time.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Traditional software applications and on-premise legacy applications have limited computing power. However, innovations and trials require enormous computing resources. As a result, enterprises are looking at cloud migration and application modernization as the preliminary business requirement for launching innovations. It not only allows them to execute cross geography trials but also test digital innovations with AI/ML algorithms that require exhaustive computing.
Application Cloud Migration and Application Modernization Are Synonymous
Application cloud migration entails the movement of the on-premise applications to the cloud environment, either on-premise cloud or public cloud, in order to avail the benefits of scalability, flexibility, and exponential computing power. It is synonymous with application modernization that allows the erstwhile on-premise application in its cloud-borne avatar to process queries and data at a tremendous speed. The applications are on the same turf as the cloud-first applications that are the true proponents of the cloud-native environment.
Application Cloud Migration Options
Traditional applications can be migrated to the cloud under the following options:
- Rehosting: It implies the lift-and-shift methodology. Though a fast and cheap method of migration, it involves higher operating costs at a later date and does not offer a full cloud-native environment.
- Refactoring: It involves code changes and disintegration of the application to fit the microservices architecture to avail the cloud-native environment.
- Replatforming: It involves application containerization or just changing the middleware such that the application works on the cloud.
- Replacing: It implies using a SaaS cloud application. It is cost-efficient as compared to application migration. It is a weighted decision between application migration time and immediate operational availability.
Importance of Application Cloud Migration or Application Modernization
Application cloud migration has an advantage over the on-premise traditional application. It can be scaled up as per business requirements and fine-tuned. These features are not available in traditional applications or legacy applications stationed on-premise. Application cloud allows innovation by using the enormous computing power and scalability of the application to build innovative digital experiences for the customer. As a result, the cloud-native application improves the productivity, scalability, and efficiency of operations. It allows executing trials across different focus groups across distributed geographies.
Application Cloud Migration – Benefits
Cloud as such offers enormous benefits over the on-premise applications. The cloud migration allows businesses to keep their existing IT investments and yet avail the benefits of the cloud:
- Reduced OpEx: Offers cost efficiencies in an ever-evolving technology landscape.
- Scalable Framework: Provides a highly scalable framework for fine-tuning and optimizing operations.
- Secure Environment: Provides a distributed and secure environment that is accessible from different locations.
- Cloud-Native Adoption: Provides all the benefits of the cloud-native environment similar to building a Cloud-first application.
Application cloud migration and application modernization are synonymous. On-premise applications are not scalable and fail to support heavy computing. In their cloud-native avatar, the applications not only have high scalability and computing resources but also assist in executing mass trials and testing of new products across geographies.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.