A while back (turns out it was about 8 years ago) I started working on a simple 2d game in the style of Nintendo Game and Watch LCD games that were popular in the 1980s, but I never finished it completely.
I dug up the source and committed it to GitHub in its original state, how I last left it, and then took a look at wrapping up the last few issues and adding finishing touches.
Here’s the source for the game, and here’s the source for a generic 2d game framework that I abstracted from the game as I was developing it. Here’s a couple of posts from when I was actively working on developing this, here and here.
There was a couple of bugs in the animation that I never fixed, and I wanted to polish it up a bit.
It never really had the look of an old monochrome LCD displ
ay, so I first changed the background (using a color dropper to pick a color from online photos), but then realized none of the images were transparent so it ended up looking like this:
Notice the bank on the top-left now has the first of the sprites updated to add transparency. I did this by adding an alpha layer in Gimp per simple steps here. I updated each of the image sprites to resave them as PNGs with a transparent layer.
The end result now looks like this:
The LCD segment font is from http://www.styleseven.com/. To load the custom font, use:
ge = GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(); ge.registerFont(Font.createFont(Font.TRUETYPE_FONT, System.class.getResourceAsStream("/fonts/digital-7.ttf")));
And then when you need to use it, create a new Font using it’s name and you can use it in place of any regular system font:
g.setFont(new Font("digital-7", Font.BOLD, 20));