WSO2 ESB is a lean, high-performing, lightweight enterprise integration solution built on top of the state-of-the-art WSO2 Carbon platform. It has all the features (by WSO2 ESB 4.9.0 version) you would expect from an integration product. So what is new about the version 5.0.0?
Integration products are server-side software that are mainly used/configured by developers. No matter how hard it is to configure, they will learn about it and use it. But if a developer wants to explain his implementation to “C”-level people, they cannot show code. Also, developers would like to focus more on the business logic rather than worrying about the complexities of the technology.
The WSO2 team has taken this requirement into consideration when planning the ESB 5.0.0 version and worked for 11 months to bring this version into the market. Here are the six main features of the WSO2 ESB 5.0.0.
- WSO2 ESB is no longer a single runtime component. It comes as a tuple of runtime, tooling and, analytics bridged to work seamlessly.
- ESB Analytics will provide you greater insights into your services. With the statistics enabled, you can monitor the performance of your services (e.g. latency, transactions per second (TPS), success count, failure count, etc.) with minimal impact to your performance. If you need fine-grained monitoring, you can enable tracing for the required services and ESB runtime will publish all the information to the ESB analytics component, and you will see each and every message and what happens to the message at each and every mediator.
- Data mapper is your new assistant for data transformation. It will give you the flexibility to map input data to output data formats while applying functions in between. It will also provide implicit transformation across different mime types (e.g. XML->JSON, JSON->XML, etc.) according to the selected input and output types.
- Mediation debugger is the ultimate helper for the developers. Now you can debug the ESB configurations in the same way as you debug a java program. You no longer need to put logs and intercept mediation flow to troubleshoot your implementation. This will give you the capability to debug tenant use cases also.
- Websocket has been taking the traction of the internet world for some time and it is a must to support this improved protocol which is coming as a replacement to HTTP. WSO2 ESB 5.0.0 includes websocket transport.
- Java Messaging Service (JMS) has been widely used in enterprise integrations ,and JMS 2.0 brings several improvements to the existing JMS 1.1 version. WSO2 ESB 5.0.0 comes with JMS 2.0 support. WSO2 team has also added JMS distributed transaction(XA) support to the existing JMS transport implementation.
In addition to the aforementioned new features, there are around 700+ bug fixes and improvements included in the runtime, tooling, and analytics components of the WSO2 ESB 5.0.0.
Here are some short videos that explain some new features of the WSO2 ESB 5.0.0.