If you use Amazon EC2 Reserved Instances (RIs), there's some good news from Amazon if you're looking for more control over where your data is hosted. RIs may now be moved to other Availability Zones within your region during the duration of their contracts.
RIs differ from the normal EC2 instances by being less flexible but lower cost. You reserve them for a low, one-time payment for a one or three-year term.
Here are all the regions again if you need a refresher:
- Asia Pacific (Tokyo) Region
- Asia Pacific (Singapore) Region
- Asia Pacific (Sydney) Region
- EU (Ireland) Region
- South America (Sao Paulo) Region
- US East (Northern Virginia) Region
- US West (Northern California) Region
- US West (Oregon) Region