6 Effective Ways to Reduce ReactJS App Maintenance Cost
React JS app maintenance cost is a challenge for any company. Here are 6 effective tips to reduce the maintenance cost of any ReactJS web apps.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
What is the React JS Framework?
React is often compared with Angular and Vue for building web applications. However, developing React web applications is a preferred choice. The reasons are simple — it enables building native applications using React Native.
But often, the app requires high maintenance once it’s done. There are multiple elements and components in the UI, which call for regular maintenance. However, it can be challenging and costly. Let’s look at the factors responsible for the high cost of ReactJS app maintenance.
Factors Leading to High ReactJS App Maintenance Cost
React JS web applications can be costly to maintain. While the library is not responsible alone for the increase in cost, it contributes heavily to it. Here are a few factors responsible for the high cost of ReactJS web applications:
- Third-party add ons require heavy maintenance apart from the library, leading to a high-cost of app updates and upgrades.
- Outdated technology versions lead to increased errors and bug fixing, which takes a lot of time.
- Wrong programming approach also adds to the cost of React JS app maintenance.
- Outsourcing partners can put a hole in your budget. Updating the app will cost you heavily with the wrong outsourcing company.
- Without clear documentation, React.js developers will struggle to maintain the web application as they won’t know the project structure.
Now that you understand what leads to the high-cost of React JS web applications and their maintenance, you certainly want to reduce it. While the ReactJS development process is seamless, maintenance is not so.
ReactJS development companies love the framework because of its appealing components, virtual DOM, performance, simplicity, and reusability. However, all of them struggle to maintain it properly.
6 Effective Tips to Reduce ReactJS App Maintenance Cost
1. Code Quality
- The first step is to understand the ReactJS code exceptionally well. After that, the focus should be on writing high-quality code. Clear and precise coding will cost heavily initially but save maintenance costs in the long run.
- Well-written code is seldom susceptible to errors. The execution of code is seamless, takes less time, and most importantly — can be updated easily. Following the right coding standards is essential to reducing the maintenance cost.
- If you are deploying a new developer on the project, poorly-written code will be difficult to comprehend.
2. Responsive Design
- The ReactJS development team is on the wrong path if they are not developing a mobile-friendly design. Responsive design is a must for ReactJS web applications to reduce the cost of separately developing a mobile website.
- A mobile-friendly approach simplifies the process of structuring the CSS into the application. Otherwise, you have to hire developers for the same. A ReactJS development company will ensure from the beginning that you have a mobile-friendly website.
- While it is important to have a mobile-first approach, you can adapt your web application into a responsive design later on.
3. Clear Documentation
- Documentation is an important asset for any developer. When in doubt, React.js developers look at the documentation to easily evaluate a lot of things, including code quality, project progress, and the ability to detect and see historical code.
- Fair documentation will reduce the cost of ReactJS app maintenance as it will give a clear view of the entire project. It also simplifies the project arrangement process. Documentation also gives an outline of the whole project structure.
- If you want to work with long term partners, then documentation is an essential process. Documentation also makes handing the project over to other developers.
4. Third-party Packages
- There are two aspects to this — outsourcing projects to the third party and the third-party add ons. You must look at the packages and the updates that the third-party provides. Outsourcing the project to a ReactJS development company without any prior maintenance knowledge leads to high costs, more time, and increased efforts.
- Further, the third-party add ons are also a significant part of the ReactJS development process. Every add-on must receive the proper updates. Without that, the application will lag and cost you extra to maintain it.
5. New Features Impact
- Adding new features is something you have to be really careful about. Assessing the potential impact of any new feature is a must for the project.
- Feature addition impacts functional longevity, app performance, and maintenance cost. There are several ReactJS web application examples where features have added to the cost of the ReactJS app development process.
- Evaluation of the impact and necessity of features is crucial for maintenance costs. Every new feature will add an extra layer of code, leading to unwanted costs.
6. Version Upgrade
- And finally, one of the most important aspects of reducing the cost of ReactJS app maintenance is to upgrade to the latest version of the library. The upgraded library offers newer functions and features for developing React web applications.
- The latest version leads to improvement in-app performance and productivity. You can save a significant amount of maintenance costs by keeping the version updated.
- The latest version of the library offers security patches and features. It saves your application from any vulnerabilities that might lead to future issues, which require a high cost of maintenance.
Read more: Integrating ReactJS with Rails Application
Conclusion: ReactJS App Maintenance Cost is Manageable
Minimizing maintenance costs is important for any company. By working with experienced React.js developers, you can smoothly transition from high costs to heavy performance.
To summarize, maintenance costs should not be ignored while developing an application with ReactJS. There are multiple factors that impact the cost of development, which should always be taken into consideration. And finally, by following the best development practices and tips, you can reduce maintenance costs by 25 to 50%.
Published at DZone with permission of Shardul Bhatt. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.