DevOps and Agile: A Perfect Combination
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Enterprises are now getting digitally transformed by adopting emerging technologies with new tools and techniques. They are now more focused on competing with the digital economy to improve performance on all levels.
They need to improve flexibility in business-supporting capabilities, boost product quality, raise financial performance and increase speed-to-market for customer-facing products. Agile and DevOps practices are crucial in achieving these goals of efficient cooperation, collaboration, and bug-free code and to maintain competitive elasticity.
You may also like: How DevOps Is Enabling Agile Organizations
But, How Are DevOps and Agile Separate Concepts?
DevOps approach backed by Agile methodology can be placed in continuation with each other. Agile is usually on the left followed by DevOps and continuous delivery on the right.
What Is DevOps?
- DevOps bridges the gap between the operational and development systems. Adopting DevOps can increase administration and operational ability through a lean-agile approach.
- Development and operational teams work together throughout the software development cycle to achieve certain goals set by the organization.
- The main aim of DevOps is to maintain quality and speed to the market of the product. This will help the organization achieve customer satisfaction.
- Combining agile and DevOps can optimize and streamline the software development cycle. DevOps helps in optimizing the processes and achieves the required goal.
In an organization, the DevOps capability depends on technologies, processes, and people.
Apart from this, enterprises are now demanding to have IT operations that support modern digital business. They need the agility platform to achieve success in this digitalized world. Agility is not just about software development and IT operations, it’s way more than that…here is how Agility and DevOps are interconnected to each other.
Here Are Four Agility Facets Applicable to DevOps
- Mindset and Culture: DevOps need cultural change among the teams. Organizations can properly utilize the tools and technologies only if people collaborate with the team. The Development team should support the operational team and vice versa.
- Values and Principles: These are the core elements of any agile practice and even for DevOps. These principles are followed by both development and operational team. DevOps is an extension of agile and lean processes.
- Tools and Technologies: Effective use of tools and technologies for continuous delivery and integration, deployment, continuous build, release, and testing lead to effective automation.
- Methods and Practices: DevOps needs revamped agile practices and methods to achieve infrastructure provisioning, continuous monitoring, automation, and support applications in a production environment. There must be constant communication between development and operational team for continuous integration, testing, deployment, and release.
Methods Should Be More Agile for Better Customer Experience
DevOps requires agile software development that is linked with feedback, quality, and speed. DevOps has bridged the gap, connecting teams through process and technology.
Adopting DevOps Can Increase the Efficiency
DevOps focus is speed and continuous delivery. Organizations choose to automate their tasks to free their employees from the mundane task. This will help them invest their time in productive work.
The DevOps approach is very concise, efficient and straightforward. Therefore, any employee can learn from this methodology. Increasing the use of automation ensures that processes run smoothly and effectively with continuous feedback and immediately adapting to learnings.
There Are Several Ways for Employees to Automate the Processes
Chatbots: Chatbot can answer questions, provide links to content and schedule demos. Teams can always jump into the conversation to help with more complex questions.
A study conducted by Juniper Research shows that Chatbots are expected to reduce business costs by more than $8 billion per year by 2022.
Email Automation: DevOps teams look for ways to automate the delivery of software into production, teams can use email automation to deliver personalized messages based on customer behaviors.
The development and operational teams should collaborate throughout the entire software delivery lifecycle. DevOps is an extension of the Agile Manifesto; it demands shared ownership and culture among the team members. It is an excellent example of a collaborative approach.
So are you looking to integrate DevOps with your organization? We can help you get the complete outline of what software testers focus on to effectively navigate the road to success.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.