10 Goals Related to DevOps
- Adopt the new philosophy. We are in a new economic age. Western management must awaken to the challenge, and must learn their responsibilities, and take on leadership for a change.
- Cease dependence on inspection to achieve quality. Eliminate the need for massive inspection by building quality into the product in the first place.
- Constantly improve your system of production and service, to improve quality and productivity, and thus constantly decrease costs.
- Institute training on the job.
- Institute leadership. The aim of supervision should be to help people and machines and gadgets to a better job.
- Drive out fear, so that everyone may work effectively for the company.
- Break down barriers between departments. People in research, design, sales, and production must work as a team in order to forsee problems of production and usage that may be encountered with the product or service.
- Eliminate slogans, exhortation, and targets for the work force; asking for zero defects and new levels of productivity. Such exhortations only create adversarial relationships, since the bulk of the causes of low quality and low productivity belong to the system and thus lie beyond the power of the work force.
*Eliminate management by objective. Eliminate management by numbers and numerical goals. Instead substitute with leadership.
*Remove barriers that rob the hourly worker of his/her right to pride of workmanship. The responsibility of supervisors must be changed from sheer numbers to quality.
*Remove barriers that rob people in management and in engineering of their right to pride of workmanship.
- Institute a vigorous program of education and self-improvement.
- Put everybody in the company to work to accomplish the transformation. The transformation is everybody's job.
On a more technical level, Kris says you need the following things to get to a point where your team can deploy at a moment's notice, quickly and safely:
- Version Control
- Continuous Integration
- Built Pipelines
- Bug Tracking
- Integrated Testing
- Automated Deployment
Here are all of the slides from his presentation: