To converge Internet of Thing devices with corporate IT solutions, teams require a Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things (IoT). The reference architecture must include devices, server-side capabilities, and cloud architecture required to interact with and manage the devices. A reference architecture should provide architects and developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that addresses major IoT project and system requirements.
A high-level IoT reference architecture may include the following layers (see figure 1):
- External Communications - Web/Portal, Dashboard, APIs
- Event Processing and Analytics (including data storage)
- Aggregation / Bus Layer – ESB and Message Broker
- Device Communications
Cross-‐cutting layers include:
- Device and Application Management
- Identity and Access Management
A more detailed architecture component description can be found in the IoT Reference Architecture White Paper.