Python Bags the TIOBE Language of the Year 2021 in a Row
Python and C# contested to grab the covetous TIOBE programming language of the year award. Python won the competition for its simplicity, extensive libraries, and more
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Python, an interpreted high-level, general-purpose programming language, bagged the covetous and prestigious TIOBE Language of the Year 2021 in a row. This award is offered to the programming language that has secured the highest surge in ratings in 365 days. In 2021, Python and C language locked their horns to grab the covetous TIOBE programming language of the year award. But, Python won the competition by surpassing C. The TIOBE Programming Community index is a pointer to gauge the popularity of all programming languages.
Python and C# locked their horns to grab the covetous TIOBE programming language of the year award. Python is globally popular owing to its simplicity, extensive libraries, community support, and growing use in machine learning (ML), artificial intelligence (IA), and research disciplines. Python is a unique language for creating Android, iOS, and Windows mobile apps.
The TIOBE Index
The TIOBE Programming Community index is updated once a month. The ratings shown in the index are based on features like the number of skilled engineers globally, 3rd party vendors, and courses. Popular search engines calculate the ratings. The index is also used to check if programming skills are updated and make strategic decisions about adopting a programming language while building a new software system.
Netherlands-based software quality measurement company TIOBE creates these monthly ratings using a "+" language> programming" query and a specific formula. There are three requirements that count as a programming language for the TIOBE index. These include:
- The programming language has its own entry on Wikipedia, and the online encyclopedia states it as a programming language.
- The language is said to be Turing complete.
- The language have minimum 5,000 hits for +"<language> programming" for Google.
Position Programming Language Ratings
1 Python 13.58%
2 C 12.44%
3 Java 10.66%
4 C++ 8.29%
5 C# 5.68%
6 Visual Basic 4.74%
8 Assembly language 1.85%
9 SQL 1.80%
10 Swift 1.41%
On the steep rise of Python, the TIOBE blog states, "There are no signs that Python's triumphal march will stop soon." The blog adds, "Are there any serious contenders for Python? Any sort of new and shiny languages that might compete in the future? Looking at the promising languages of the last few years, we see big changes in programming languages: Swift, Go, Rust, Julia, Kotlin, Dart, and TypeScript. So, except maybe for Swift and Go, we don't expect any new languages entering the top five or even the top three any time soon."
When it comes to knowing about Python's current popularity, the straightforward language is usable across almost every domain.
Usage of Python in Different Application Domains
Python is a unique programming language that assists developers to integrate their systems efficiently and work more quickly. Look at some of the prime domain apps where Python is used heavily.
Web and internet development choices:
- Frameworks – Django and Pyramid
- Micro-frameworks – Flask, and Bottle
- Advanced content management systems – Plone and Django CMS
Internet protocols supported by Python's standard library:
- Easy-to-use socket interface
- Email processing
- HTML and XML
- Support for FTP, IMAP, and other Internet protocols
Libraries at Python Package Index (PyPI), a repository of software for Python:
- Beautiful Soup, an HTML parser handling all types of oddball HTML.
- Feedparser for parsing RSS/Atom feeds.
- Paramiko, an implemention of the SSH2 protocol.
- Requests, a powerful HTTP client library.
- Twisted Python, a framework for asynchronous network programming.
Scientific and Numeric Computing
- IPython, a powerful interactive shell of work session editing and recording.
- Pandas, a library for data analysis and modeling.
- SciPy, a set of packages for science, mathematics, and engineering.
- Software Carpentry Course, a way to teach basic skills for scientific computing.
- Kivy, for writing multi-touch apps.
- Qt via pyqt or PySide
- win32 extensions
- SConsn, support for building control.
- Buildbot and Apache Gump are tools for automated testing and continuous compilation.
- Roundup or Trac are tools for project management and bug tracking.
- Odoo is a software tool for building ERP apps.
- Tryton is a 3-tier high-level, general-purpose application platform.
When it comes to checking the factors that contribute to Python's growing use, we see big brands like Intel, IBM, Netflix, Facebook, NASA, Pixar, JP Morgan Chase, and Spotify as the programming language for web and mobile apps. Moreover, data scientists prefer to use Python to utilize bulk data and drive business results. You can also consult Python app development companies to know more about the business benefits of the ace programming language.
Data analytics, programming applications, web development, data visualization, and AI, and machine learning are also some of the different drivers behind the sharp growth in the use of Python.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.