The Future of Content Management Systems
The future of content management systems: Headless or Decoupled Content Management Systems and Augmented Reality.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
We are a part of an era which is entirely content-entrained, isn't it?
Okay! we're not just emphasizing the text content here; but also the content in its other forms, such as digital content (videos, audios), infographics, images, presentations, eBooks, Case Studies, and the list goes on!
With that, let's kick start to grab and explore the nitty-gritty of CMS and its future in the digital world.
A Closer Insight to Content Management Systems
Websites we know, are a big-league in the internet epoch. They mark the cornerstone of your presence in the digital world.
Content is the prime source that lures traffic, and hence business entrepreneurs must strive to deliver fresh and updated content to the customers/ visitors.
That's when CMS or the Content Management Systems come into play.
Content Management System or CMS is a web-based content management application that instigates businesses or users to add, edit, and organize any kind of data or information and even enhance or modify the existing pages of online platforms.
Well, the most interesting thing is that you don't have to be tech-savvy to manage data through a CMS!
Which means, even if you're a newbie, you are good to go!
Some very famous CMS that we know of are WordPress, Drupal, or Joomla. These are so popular in the market because they are highly scalable and robust.
With that let's dig in to know more about the Content Management Systems.
Must-Have Traits or Functionalities:
While we may come across multiple CMS's, one must look for these must-have properties of the Content Management Systems and also those which orient with your targets. These are-
Intrinsic Admin Dashboard-
• It is one of the prime elements of a CMS. It helps you control and supervise the content generation activities such as optimizing content, keep a check on the risks, monitoring user actions, plugin installation activities, performance analysis, and so on.
Robust Publishing tools-
• A potent content editor is a mandate that allows you to create and publish content of any type with ease.
• Also it shall allow you to add videos, images, forms, landing pages, blogs with ease and organise these segments appropriately within a publishing network.
Content Creation in Multiple Languages-
• It's a must for the CMS to support multi-lingual feature. This is necessary if you wish to connect with customers in several other countries, with different languages.
Checks on Content Publishing-
• Where more than one person is publishing the content, it is necessary to lay a check on publishing the content.
• For a Secure CMS, one must define and allocate various levels of access and permission levels for a smooth workflow and publishing the content.
Flexible and Responsive Themes-
• Layout and Appearance Matter! For that reason, one must choose themes that suit best to your business.
• For an e-commerce site, one can have a theme that facilitates drop-down navigation, customised content portions, sidebars, etc.
• One must opt for responsive themes for an optimized view of any of your website's blog or pages.
Pre-Configured SEO Tools-
• A built-in SEO would refine the CMS functionality and help you gain a good ranking by improvising the content search scenario. Therefore choose a CMS platform that is extremely SEO friendly and integrates proper HTML markups.
Social Media Mainstream-
• This era demands your presence in social media because that's how your brands get exposure and let you mark a competitive edge.
• Hence one must choose a CMS that allows social media integration and lets you post your blogs and publishing on various social media platforms through simple social media share buttons.
• Opt for a CMS that includes built-in analytics, for analyzing performance measures such as your target customers' location, devices they use, what type of content they're interacting with, etc.
• One can also go forth with the Google Analytics tool.
• Choosing the right template is an extremely integral part. Templates ease the publishing process and so one must look for CMS options that offer template options as well.
Safety and Security-
• One cannot deny how important Security is for any website. Not only it safeguards the integrity of your data but also secures your brand's reputation.
• So security factors such as SSL, CDN, Web Application Firewall, etc. must come handy with the CMS that you select.
The list is vast and so one must try and focus on choosing a CMS that is adept, but easily accessible at the same time.
One can also opt for CMS development solutions, which can guide you through the CMS creation process and build an all-round solution for your CMS needs, for both, small-scaled and large-scaled businesses.
The future Insights of Content Management Systems
The conventional CMS has proven to be extremely effective but with a rise in the technical advancements, it is necessary to take a step forward and switch to advanced Content Management Systems, i.e. the Future of CMS.
Perhaps, the future of a CMS facilitates these two advancements-
• Headless or Decoupled Content Management Systems
• Versatile taxonomy and or organizational categorization of the content.
Headless or Decoupled Content Management Systems
A decoupled or a Headless CMS is an entire newbie technical stack that gives a fresh definition to the Content Management Systems.
The advancement of CMS to Headless CMS has proven worthwhile as it has minimized the development, deployment, and testing time frames.
Moving on, the Headless CMS involves API integration and backend technology, which saves and releases the content to the appropriate frontend. However, it is not at all evident to the user.
In layman terms, a Headless CMS initiates the content storage and delivery that are administered by different software.
Additionally, a headless CMS does not have a frontend presentation scenario as it focuses mainly on segregating the content creation, storage and management from exhibiting content and its distribution.
Moving further, it targets essential aspects such as security, scalability, distinctive user experience, front-end technological scope, etc.
One can take into account the Headless CMS for Omni-channel promotions, customizations, security purposes, etc.
With the backend and frontend segregation, there is more scope for customized content and design. Unlike the conventional CMS where one can only opt for template designs.
CMS and Augmented Reality
This is an era of technology evolution and Augmented Reality is one of its prime examples. The way it has brought together the real and the virtual world is unmatched.
Aren't we aware how popular the Pokemon Go and also the Snapchat app is!
With that, we can expect the amount of content and media such as 3D images or videos AR applications have to deal with. Moreover, there may be times when both the text content and digital content are published passively.
This can turn out to be extremely time-consuming as every content update would call for developer assistance; this would retard the work activity and adversely affect the outcome.
Perhaps, with the passage of time, Augmented Reality has spread its horizons and resulted in AR Content Management Systems as one of its chief conquests.
Render Life to your Content through AR Content Management Systems
AR Content Management Systems is a popularly known to upload the primitive or raw 3D content in bulk. This, in turn, serves as the groundwork for the AR experiments.
The sectors that can befit from the AR Content Managements Systems are-
We've acquainted ourselves with the in-depth know-how about the Content Management Systems.
Each CMS is peculiar in itself so one should opt for a CMS platform that best suits your business requirements.
Which means it should be a combination of an easy to use dashboard that comes handy with the pre-configured SEO tools, security features, advanced technology integration opportunities. It lets your customers have an exceedingly rare online experience in terms of improvised engagement.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.