Wow! Can you believe we’re already staring down 2016? Time sure flies! Remember, This Week in Spring was started the first week of 2011, so we’ll soon mark the fifth anniversairry of TWiS!
This week I’m in Shanghai, China, for the Cloud Foundry Summit Asia and then off to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA, for the Rich Web Experience! If you’re in either place, don’t hesitate to reach me!
As usual, we’ve got a lot to cover so let’s get to it!
- Spring Boot co-founder and Spring framework contributor Phil Webb put up a really thoughtful post helping people looking at Spring (which has been around for 10+ years) to avoid some of the common pitfalls facing new developers in 2016. A very recommended read!
- Florian Benz did a great job discussing the motivations and use of comprehensive REST documentation as generated with Spring Rest Docs. This is a really cool, quick read!
- Speaking of Spring Rest Docs, there’s a great interview with the project lead, the amazing Andy Wilkinson who - in his ample free time - also manages the Spring IO Platform as well as contributes to Spring Boot. Read on to learn more about one of my heroes!
- Spring Boot and Spring Cloud co-founder Dr. Dave Syer has put [up a nice post on migrating Spring Cloud applications from Spring Boot 1.2 to the just released 1.3
- Spring Social lead Craig Walls just announced Spring Social 1.1.4 which includes a few recommended bugfixes
- Spring Data ninja Thomas Risberg just announced Spring Data JDBC Extensions 1.2 and a slew of other great updates
- Spring Tool Suite lead Martin Lippert just announced the STS 3.7.2 release of STS which includes an updated Spring Boot Dashboard, Spring Boot 1.3.0 compatibility, quick text search and more.
- Spring Boot, Spring Cloud and Spring Security OAuth contributor, co-founder and ninja Dr. Dave Syer’s post on migrating OAuth-based code from Spring Cloud Angel to Brixton, given the introduction of some of those features in Spring Boot 1.3, is a very cool read!
- Speaking of Spring Cloud Security, check out my pal Will Tran’s epic talk from SpringOne2GX 2015!
- Check out Spring Cloud co-founder Spencer Gibb’s epic talk from SpringOne2GX on alternative implementations of common extension hooks for Spring Cloud