How To Become an AI Expert: Career Guide and Pathways
This post covers the basics and applications of AI, the online courses and certifications to learn AI and the most in-demand and lucrative AI jobs.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Artificial intelligence (AI) is one of the twenty-first century's most exciting and rapidly developing fields. Artificial intelligence has the potential to transform a variety of industries, including education, healthcare, retail, e-commerce, public relations, small businesses, recruitment, services, and manufacturing.
AI can also improve the quality of life for millions of people worldwide by solving complex problems, increasing efficiency, and developing novel solutions.
But how do you become an AI expert and enter this exciting field? What skills, education, and career paths should you pursue? In this blog post, we will answer these questions and provide you with a detailed guide on how to become an AI expert.
What Is an AI Expert?
An AI expert is a professional who understands the fundamentals, methods, and applications of artificial intelligence. An AI expert can create, develop, and deploy intelligent systems capable of performing tasks that would normally require human intelligence, such as natural language processing, computer vision, speech recognition, machine learning, and robotics.
An AI expert can work in a variety of fields, including research, engineering, consulting, and teaching. An AI expert can also focus on a specific subfield of AI, such as machine learning, deep learning, computer vision, natural language processing, or robotics.
What Are the Skills and Education Required To Become an AI Expert?
To become an AI expert, you must have a solid foundation in mathematics, statistics, computer science, and programming. You also need a solid understanding of AI fundamentals such as algorithms, data structures, data analysis, machine learning, and deep learning.
Depending on your desired career path, you may also need a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree in AI, computer science, or a related subject. Alternatively, you can take online courses, certifications, or boot camps to learn the fundamental skills and concepts of artificial intelligence.
Coursera, Udemy, edX, and Udacity are some of the most popular online platforms for AI courses. Some popular AI certifications include the IBM AI Engineering Professional Certificate, Google TensorFlow Developer Certificate, and Microsoft Azure AI Engineer Associate.
What Are the Career Paths and Opportunities for AI Experts?
There are numerous career paths and opportunities for AI experts across industries and sectors. Some of the most popular and lucrative AI jobs are:
- AI engineer: An AI engineer is a professional who uses AI and machine learning techniques to create applications and systems that improve organizational efficiency. An AI engineer creates the tools, systems, and processes that allow AI to be applied to real-world problems. An AI engineer may also work with data scientists, machine learning engineers, and other AI professionals to develop and implement AI solutions. The average salary for an AI engineer is $113,000.
- Machine learning engineer: A machine learning engineer is a professional who conducts research, builds, and designs the artificial intelligence (AI) that powers machine learning. A machine learning engineer maintains and improves existing AI systems while also conducting experiments and tests to assess and optimize their performance. A machine learning engineer collaborates closely with data scientists and AI engineers to create machine learning models and algorithms. The average salary for a machine learning engineer is $123,000.
- Data engineer: A data engineer is a professional who creates systems for collecting, managing, and converting raw data into information that data scientists, business analysts, and other data professionals can interpret. A data engineer makes data accessible and reliable, allowing organizations to evaluate and improve their performance. A data engineer works with a variety of data sources, including databases, APIs, web scraping, and cloud services. The average salary for a data engineer is $104,000.
- Robotics engineer: A robotics engineer is a professional who creates robotic applications for a variety of industries, including automobiles, manufacturing, defense, and medicine. A robotics engineer creates, tests, and implements new products or prototypes that incorporate robotic technology. A robotics engineer also works with a wide range of hardware and software components, including sensors, actuators, controllers, and programming languages. The average salary for a robotics engineer is $96,000.
- AI researcher: An AI researcher is a professional who conducts scientific research into the theory and application of artificial intelligence. An AI researcher investigates new ideas, methods, and applications of AI and publishes their findings in academic journals, conferences, and books. An AI researcher collaborates with other researchers, academics, and industry partners to further the field of AI. The average annual salary for an AI researcher is $119,000.
- AI consultant: An AI consultant is a professional who offers expert advice and guidance on the use and implementation of artificial intelligence to a variety of clients and organizations. An AI consultant analyzes the client's needs and goals and recommends the best AI solutions to help them achieve their goals. An AI consultant also assists clients with the planning, execution, and evaluation of their AI projects. The average annual salary for an AI consultant is $102,000.
How To Become an AI Expert: A Summary
Becoming an AI expert is a rewarding and challenging career path that can lead to numerous opportunities and possibilities for you. To become an AI expert, you must have a solid background in mathematics, statistics, computer science, and programming. You should also have a solid understanding of the fundamentals and applications of artificial intelligence. You can learn these skills and knowledge through formal education, online courses, certifications, or boot camps.
There are numerous career paths and opportunities for AI experts across industries and sectors. AI engineer, machine learning engineer, data engineer, robotics engineer, AI researcher, and AI consultant are among the most sought-after and lucrative AI positions. You can choose a career path that aligns with your interests, skills, and goals.
Suppose you are interested in artificial intelligence and want to become an AI expert. In that case, you can begin your journey today by enrolling in one of the many online courses or certifications that will teach you the fundamental skills and concepts of AI. You can also look into the various resources and communities available to help you learn more about AI and keep up with the latest trends and developments in the field.
We hope this blog post provided you with a comprehensive guide on how to become an AI expert. If you have any questions or comments, please post them below. We'd love to hear from you.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.