How To Convert MySQL Database to SQL Server
Explore methods for converting MySQL database to SQL Server. Get the best solutions to transfer database records from MySQL to MS SQL Server.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
This article explains why organizations would desire to convert their MySQL databases to Microsoft SQL databases. The article goes on to detail items to bear in mind before trying the conversion, as well as the method involved. A Specialized Database Converter Tool will help you swiftly convert MySQL database records to MS SQL Server.
Before we proceed, let’s discuss the benefits of MySQL to MS SQL Server Conversion.
Benefits of MySQL to MSSQL Conversion
Converting a MySQL database to Microsoft SQL Server (MSSQL) can offer several benefits, depending on the specific needs and context of the organization:
- Application support: Some applications or systems might function more efficiently or exclusively with MSSQL, necessitating the conversion for optimal compatibility.
- Vendor requirements: Working with vendors or partners who specifically require MSSQL for integrations or support.
- Unified environment: For organizations already using Microsoft-centric tools and technologies, integrating with MSSQL can streamline operations and management.
- Interoperability: Seamless integration with other Microsoft products (like SharePoint, Dynamics, etc.) or services in the ecosystem.
- Security features: MSSQL offers a range of security features, and for organizations with strict security requirements, MSSQL might be preferred.
- Compliance: Some industries or regulatory bodies have specific compliance requirements that are better supported by MSSQL.
- Cost considerations: Licensing and cost structures might differ between MySQL and MSSQL, prompting a shift based on budget considerations.
- Long-term strategy: Aligning with a long-term strategy of the organization or making decisions based on future scalability and growth plans.
- Additional features: Utilizing specific MSSQL features that might not be available or are different in MySQL, allowing for enhanced functionality or customization.
Best Methods To Convert MySQL Database to MS SQL Server
There are several effective methods to convert a MySQL database to SQL Server. Here are some of the best approaches:
1. Convert MySQL to MSSQL Using SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA)
Microsoft provides the SQL Server Migration Assistant tool, which is specifically designed to migrate databases from different sources to SQL Server. Follow these steps:
1. Download SSMA: Download and install SQL Server Migration Assistant for MySQL (SSMA).
2. Create a new project: Open SSMA and create a new project.
3. Connect to MySQL: Connect SSMA to your MySQL database.
4. Map MySQL schema to SQL server: Map MySQL schema objects to their equivalents in SQL Server.
5. Convert and migrate: Convert the schema and migrate the data to SQL Server.
2. Converting MySQL to SQL Server Using Manual Export/Import Option
1. Export MySQL database: Use tools like
mysqldump to export the MySQL database into a .sql file.
mysqldump -u username -p databasename > databasename.sql
2. Convert SQL syntax: Review and modify the SQL dump file if there are MySQL-specific syntaxes that need to be adjusted for SQL Server compatibility (e.g., data types, functions, etc.).
3. Import to SQL server:
- Create a new database in SQL Server.
- Use SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) or the
sqlcmdutility to execute the SQL script in the .sql file against the new SQL Server database.
Verify data: After importing, ensure data integrity by running checks and validating records.
3. Use Third-Party Tools and Services To Convert MySQL Database to SQL Server
There are various third-party migration tools available that specialize in MySQL database migration. These tools might offer additional features and flexibility for conversion. Some popular tools include Liquibase, Flyway, and Aryson MySQL to MSSQL Converter.
Follow the Steps to Convert MySQL Database to MS SQL Server:
- Download and Install the MySQL to MSSQL Converter software.
- Open the Aryson MySQL to MSSQL Converter application.
- In the converter tool, find an option to connect to the MySQL database.
- Input the necessary connection details, such as server name, username, password, and database name.
- Once connected, the tool should display the list of tables available in the MySQL database.
- Select the tables you want to migrate to MSSQL.
- Specify the MSSQL server details where you want to migrate the data.
- Enter the server name and authentication credentials (username/password), and choose the destination database on MSSQL.
- The converter tool might provide options for mapping MySQL data types to their corresponding MSSQL equivalents.
- Review and adjust the mappings if necessary.
- Once the source and destination databases are configured, start the conversion process.
- The tool will begin extracting data from MySQL and transferring it to the MSSQL database.
- During the migration, the tool should provide progress indicators or logs.
- After completion, verify the data in the MSSQL database to ensure accuracy.
Choose a method based on your expertise, the complexity of the database, and the available tools. Always perform a backup and restore of your MySQL databases before migration to prevent data loss. Additionally, thorough testing and validation are crucial post-migration to ensure a successful conversion.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.