Why Continuous Performance Testing for Retail Apps Matters
Continuous testing throughout the software development life cycle strengthens customers' digital confidence in your web and mobile applications.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
The retail industry has been actively adopting digital transformation in order to provide a better user experience. According to current trends, the reliance on digital channels has been enormous, placing them at the core of all significant online retail operations.
Mobile sales increased by 68 percent in 2020 and are anticipated to surpass other channels as the largest source of all sales by the end of this year. Can you identify the true reason for increased sales using retail mobile applications? The answer is "digital confidence."
Simply put, it means you are confident that you are developing and providing the most satisfactory possible experience for your customers. This can include how your web and mobile apps look and work exactly as intended by the users. When customers’ needs are met, they get a seamless shopping experience on your digital platform.
To match expectations, keeping up with innovation is a vital aspect. Continuous testing throughout the software development life cycle (SDLC) is an excellent option to strengthen digital confidence among customers. It supports testing the omnichannel retail model, which is a proven advantage to organizations managing their business using online technologies.
Challenges Within the Retail Industry
The last thing a business wants is for a shopper to abandon their cart halfway through shopping simply because of poor speeds, and mobile app testing companies can help avoid this.
As more and more processes are getting digitized, the retail industry is experiencing regular challenges, pushing businesses to figure out new solutions. These challenges are primarily associated with both application and business grades. Hence, it becomes imperative to introduce continuous testing to sort out the mess within the retail industry by streamlining issues that hamper the performance of retail apps.
Some common challenges include:
- Ensuring the branding of the retail company remains consistent along with customer loyalty
- Handling interruptions like incoming calls, background music apps, etc.
- Quickly adapting to new product launches without impacting app features and user experience
- Responding to fluctuating data speeds across different network regions
To resolve all of the above problems and concerns related to retail apps, it is better to bring along reliable mobile app testing companies who have the expertise to avoid such situations.
Why is Load Testing Important for Retail Mobile Apps?
Load testing is crucial for retail mobile apps for five key reasons:
- It helps identify bugs. Load and performance testing is the most effective way to identify faults with an application that could jeopardize its performance under different traffic conditions. Load testing identifies problems by simulating spikes in online traffic and further testing the app’s performance and ability to handle the load. Such measures are essential for online retail systems which deal with high loads during key sale periods.
- It limits bottlenecks. Continuous performance testing is useful to get rid of potential bottlenecks. For instance, every customer transaction strikes multiple technologies with plugins, modified API services, and third-party integrations. It is vital to examine the performance of interconnected backend systems such as CRM, invoicing, warehouse, shipping, etc.
- It strengthens confidence in the app. The app is constantly evolving; hence, stretching the limits becomes crucial to strengthen confidence in the overall capabilities of the retail mobile app. In addition, software testing experts are well aware of tools that can easily automate the process during the SDLC.
- It supports scalability. When transitioning to a multi-cloud or hybrid environment, retailers must ensure that performance does not suffer and that scale does not take the place of high-quality code. This is because scalability always comes with a cost.
- It ensures a consistent omnichannel experience. To ensure an omnichannel experience, the concept of digital transformation is brought into action. It is critical to provide a consistent experience across all platforms, whether in-store or through an app. Performance testing, functional testing, and regression testing can all be used to ensure that applications and software are working correctly. Having an omnichannel experience is crucial; otherwise, turmoil and company loss might follow.
How to Achieve Continuous Improvement Using Test Automation
To keep the retail business moving forward and profitable, innovation and constant improvement are required. This is impossible to achieve without continuous testing and development, which cannot be fulfilled without automated testing. Teams can use test automation to check that the application is producing the intended outcomes. This also includes making improvements along the way derived from continuous automated feedback on what truly works and what needs to be done. Such actions help to speed up the testing process and allow experts to reduce their testing efforts.
Test automation is also required to maximize test coverage and ensure that every part of the application is thoroughly tested for speed, quality, and faultless performance.
For retail companies, the functionality and performance of their mobile app should be the foremost priority. To conduct continuous testing in a thorough manner, it is always better to associate with a reliable software testing partner. Such actions are essential for safeguarding your business goals and operations in the long run.
Published at DZone with permission of Mohit Shah. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.